Notices

So, My Friend Never Honed his cylinders!

Old 12-31-2005, 04:23 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, My Friend Never Honed his cylinders!

Well I was helping a friend rebuild his B16, and we had everything taken apart, and then I went on vacation for a few days. I came back and he had already put the psitons on and everyhting bolted back together. I asked him if he honed the cylinders, he says " If I did what?" How bad is it that he didn't hone the cylinders? The lines in hte cylinder walls were noticibale, but not drastic. All three of his psitons were busted on the sides to, when he took them out, the rings and where the rings go all had a saml break in them and they were loose. How bad is it?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:36 AM
m735is

I guess no answers mean, he could be OK or he should have done it. Although if he scratches on the walls, he should have done it.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:23 AM
EQMD EF8

if the lines in the cylinders your talking about is cross hatch, he should be alright. If you could see ANY scratch he's not. The only thing you should see is the cross hatch. NOTHING ELSE. If there was even hair line cracks, he should take it back apart, or it would be a pointless rebuild. That would be like putting the old rings back on. The engine might run fine and have good compression, but it's just gonna be that much sooner that he has to do it again. If I were you, I'd tell him to take the black apart and hone it.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:16 AM
VPUPPY

If there is no cross hatch pattern and new piston rings, this will cause the pistons to not seat right. The cross hatch actually helps seat the rings by wearing them out a bit to seal better.