Notices

Squeak, squeek

Old 12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
DGPlaya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak, squeek

Hey guys, hope you're all roll'in safe.
My front right suspension on my 88 civic is squeeking a lot. I push down on the right front end of my hood and all I hear are squeeks...it's killing me.
What do you think it is?
Thanks guys.
Daniel
Old 12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
brianbu01

replace stuts
Old 12-29-2005, 08:44 AM
waaBAAH

check your front end for play. jack up the front end and have the tire off the ground. make sure the steering wheel isnt locked. shake your front tire side to side and up and down. if any play find out where it is coming from. bearing, upper balljoint, lower balljoint, outer tie-rod, inner tie-rod, rack and pinion. i understand that the wishbone suspension doesnt call for jacking up the front end and that really you are supposed to check this while the balljoint is loaded on the ground. it shoudlnt be struts. i never heard of a strut squeking....maybe a strut mount but i highly doubt that to. it shoudl be either upper balljoint or lower balljoint or outre tie-rod since the factory balljoints are not greasable. cut a "little" whole in the boot for up. bj ,low bj ,out tie and squirt wd-40 in the boot. do one at a time so you know which one squeks. or just take the car to sears or something...they offer free front end checks.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Tankard

Yep. I had a popping(cracking) sound from my right front end a long time ago. Stupid me just ignored it. My front wheel eventually fell off. Luckily i was going slow when it happened. My lower ball joint broke.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
waaBAAH

Originally Posted by Tankard
Yep. I had a popping(cracking) sound
also known as clunking. you guys and not just tank (i think he learned from that though) should really pay attention more to front end noises. it is rare for a balljoint (hondas for that matter) to fall out of the socket but it does happen. luckily he wasnt racing me or others. IF YOUR FRONT END MAKES NOISES.....CHECK IT OUT!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:35 PM
DGPlaya

thanks to all you guys. i live in los angeles and today we have had a huge storm come through. as soon as i starting in the rain, the sound went away...what up with that?????
weird..
Old 01-01-2006, 01:33 AM
waaBAAH

it will come back. maybe the moisture
Old 01-01-2006, 03:49 AM
m735is

Definetly ckeck the lower ball joint. My kids 89 did the same thing, the ball joint broke but was still in the socket. Squeaked like hell, but when turning the wheel. My other kids 92 broke and the wheel was not pretty, luckily only during a turn on start up.

You should also check all of the bushings, any pivot point that has to do with up and down.