Notices

What exactly is rice and why does it matter

Old 09-11-2002, 05:20 PM
excitid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is rice and why does it matter

I've been reading alot on this forum and other boards and I was just wondering what you guys consider to be rice. I'm not trying to start any forum wars or be annoying or make our section the basement, but it seems personal style is now rice. I personally like clean cars no chrome, huge wings, 18s, or neon for me but I still like to see it. What do you all think. Whats the import scene like in your areas.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:53 PM
ronaldmcdonald

The way I see it, rice is used to describe when someone tries to give the impression that their car is a lot more high-performance than it really is (like faux rear brake vents on your average 'combat' aerokit. It could also be as simple as putting on "Type R" badges on a non-type R car, or a "M3" badge on non M3 beemers (I see that a lot in LA). A company by the name of APC usually pioneers in such junk, selling anything from phony plastic roll-cages to park-bench rear wings that are glued on.

I also think that many ppl confuse tacky cosmetic mods and 'bling bling', such as Altezzas, coffee-can exhausts, dubs, Veilside body kits, chrome fenders, etc with rice. That's not necessarily the case, if it doesn't set up false pretenses. Then again, often you could have very stylish stuff like the dual exhaust setup on the S2000, but technically happens to be 'rice'.

Furthrmore, the line between what is rice and what isn't can be ambigous and subjective at times. For instance you might even buy functional aeodynamic performance parts for a commuter/show car that would never need them.

That's my opinion.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:02 PM
88Cardrex

Ricey, in my opinion is something that blatantly makes your car stand out but then once it has the attention of others, doesn't please them. such as gigantic exhausts that make your car sound like an amplified lawnmower, it's hard not to notice that, but it also sounds like ****. or gigantic ass wings that make your car look like it's about to take off, they look like ****e but blatantly get attention. I think alot of people have blurred the line between rice and show as of late when really there are 3 categories, rice, show and go, show and go is a possibility too I guess :P

Ben Russell
Xenoben187@cs.com
aol im: Xenoben187
88 rex
Old 09-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Project_Rage

I say do whatever you want but don't get pissed when u look like a fool trying to act like your all that when really your car is not. hear are some things I think are rice or are acting like rice.

- don't put up stickers on your car when u don't have anything on your car from that company

- don't drive around revving on ppl when you know your car isn't all that fast you just asking for it. :sqfawk: had it happen one to many times. :doh:

- all in moderation don't get a wing that’s bigger then you whole car :nono:
Old 09-12-2002, 07:56 AM
WhiteRice

Rice.....stickers (not just companies, but ones that say "Civic" on the windshield, or the big Honda "H").

Things that I dont' like I'll call "rice." LIke people who put big ol' 17"s on a car that isn't lowered, so it looks like it's a baja or on steroids. I'll call it rice on a daily basis.

Big wings are definately rice, regardless what kind of powerplant you're running. I'll still call it rice.

Neons are rice.

Heavy accents are rice. Usually they are yellow.

But all in all....it's your car...do what you want. But be ready for some heavy criticism from the peanut gallery.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:21 AM
hybridhondahatch
for that added pep

rice is a term used by people to describe a cliche or anything overdone, like others have said this also includes anything TOO flashly and everyones opion differs on what TOO is and thats why people get in fights over it

me personally, i like show cars but they gotta have some balls, i mean i just think its rediculious to spend 10 of 1000's of dollars on a 76 HP civic.

IMO i like JDM w/ go
Old 09-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Project_Rage

ya i agree with 88hondahatch its nice to see the cars around that have it all together for show but i hope they have a little go when u drop your foot.

I know what WhiteRice means when u say 17" without slamin it. cuzi was that way once and it's not because i wanted it like that i just ran out of money. LOL:doh: but about 2 weeks after I had my springs and all but i was the big joke in the bunch.

I say sometimes u have give leway to thoes who are slowly working on it u know. One of my friends had a kit on his car he got from 2 other cars ppl were like:wtf: cuz the car was 3 colours but hay it was in the making.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:29 PM
Magik

Rice...sigh...well I was driving down the road the other day...and I saw this dark blue car...as he passes me I see a wing...not your normal stock wing...I'm talkin' a big honkin, two foot high, silver aircraft aluminum wing that probably wouldn't fit in my 4th gen HB (and we all know that the HB is the 'truck' of compact cars). This thing was HUGE!....are you ready...it was on a freakin' NEON!!!!
He's got the wheels (which is ok), he's got the stickers, he's got those freakin' gag me light up washer nozzles, he's got the tinted windows (which is ok), he's got the exhaust (that sounded like sh!t) and much much more...ALL on a freakin' NEON.:slap:

Skinny little white kid...with the whole 'eminem' "yes I'm an idiot look at me" attitude...sigh...I could go on...but I need my medication...

Some of this I agree with...some I don't...have a look...

http://www.ricecop.com/images/riceticket2.jpg

Magik
Old 09-12-2002, 02:31 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Yeah Rice is drawing way too much attention to a car that has nothing to back it up.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:51 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Personally, rice is Altezzas on a non-Lexus, Aluminum wings on a non-aircraft, huge stickers and graphics on a non-racecar, neon lights on a non-UFO and cars with wheels that double the weight of the car with a suspension that doubles as a speed-bump grater.

I'm not saying a car can't be customized to a person's taste, but since I'm a hard-core performance addict, I just can't see how someone can afford to spend that much money on aesthetic things when they haven't maxed out the potential of their powerplants first...