Notices

89 lx 1.5 cam/crank timing question

Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
what_stanger?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well guys,
worked on the ole civichimo tonight. i found the 3 marks, barley could see them, looked clockwise their position, and found what looked close enough to be a mark on its lonesome (0-tdc).
i had the girlfriend help me out and i marked it as 0 with some white out and a tiny paintbrush, set the cam in correctly.
put it all back together and so far so good, cam/crank timing seems perfect, nothing abnormal. i did turn the engine over by hand first, and no interference or anything.
ignition timing, i could see where the flange on the bolt head sat on the distributor housing and lined that up by eye, to where it was before (16?14btdc? no idea).
all in all seems good, there is a tiny chip in the block near a sleeve though, if anybody is interested, i'd like to post it up or send it to somebody via AIM and maybe they could tell me if that could cause another failure of headgasket, i'm doubting it.

many thanks to jlicrx for the picture of the crank pulley timing marks.
anybody who can tell me what this lil 1.5 is actually capable of with minor minor mods, that would be cool.
are 15second 1/4s possible with the engine i've got and not to much money? or is that a pipedream?

thanks again, i'm sure i'll be back if any problems arise.
oh yeah, how well do these engines hold up to small shots of nitrous?
i've got a kit i may take off the mustang, would 50hp jets be a-ok? the clutch is good so it could be fun in summer!