Notices

Advice on Alternator

Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 AM
accordcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Alternator

I was hoping to obtain some opinions about an alternator repair.

I had my car tested and the battery was low (needed charging) but the Alternator apparently is toast. The reading was way too low and supposedly, the battery was losing its charge because it is working all on its own. The Alternator was bought at Crap Tire (Canadians know this description of the store) about 4 years ago. Anyway, I went to a different Auto Parts store and bought a reman. alternator for approx. 70 bucks. But, I had to pay a higher price until I bring in the core (i.e. my old one). I could have got one from the wreckers for about 10 bucks cheaper but would have to pay an extra 10 bucks until I bring the core in. Do you think I made a wise decision?

I bought the one in the auto parts store because the warranty is for a year and not just a couple of months. Also, the alternator is in better condition supposedly even though the wreckers guarantee their parts for a period of time.

I'm not sure if it's a Mitsubishi or Nippondenso one, though. I opened the box and looked at it again.

My final question is about the actual job. Does anyone have a decent write-up or pictures of the repair? I searched for more instructions and details of the repair in the stickys but didn't find much. I have the Helms manual but as far as I perceive it right now, it is not one of the more detailed instructions given to most repairs. In one post about an alternator, people are talking about the tight fit when replacing.

Any comments or advice? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:35 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by accordcivic
I was hoping to obtain some opinions about an alternator repair.

I had my car tested and the battery was low (needed charging) but the Alternator apparently is toast. The reading was way too low and supposedly, the battery was losing its charge because it is working all on its own. The Alternator was bought at Crap Tire (Canadians know this description of the store) about 4 years ago. Anyway, I went to a different Auto Parts store and bought a reman. alternator for approx. 70 bucks. But, I had to pay a higher price until I bring in the core (i.e. my old one). I could have got one from the wreckers for about 10 bucks cheaper but would have to pay an extra 10 bucks until I bring the core in. Do you think I made a wise decision?

I bought the one in the auto parts store because the warranty is for a year and not just a couple of months. Also, the alternator is in better condition supposedly even though the wreckers guarantee their parts for a period of time.

I'm not sure if it's a Mitsubishi or Nippondenso one, though. I opened the box and looked at it again.

My final question is about the actual job. Does anyone have a decent write-up or pictures of the repair? I searched for more instructions and details of the repair in the stickys but didn't find much. I have the Helms manual but as far as I perceive it right now, it is not one of the more detailed instructions given to most repairs. In one post about an alternator, people are talking about the tight fit when replacing.

Any comments or advice? Thanks in advance for any replies.

It matters if you want cheap or reliable. You can't have both. I bought a starter for 9 bucks on Ebay, and it is still running great 6 months later. BUt if it were me, I would have bought the one from the junk yard and had it tested. I did that for mine, and the alternator was in perfect condition. But then again if it breaks on me I am screwed. If you get it from an auto parts store you can get a warranty on it. So it is up to you. If I had the money I would buy the one from the Auto Parts Store.