Notices

gsr in a civic

Old 09-11-2002, 04:03 PM
thorbeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr in a civic

I am looking (hopefully someday) to put an gsr motor in to my car I have a 91 civic HB. what year teg. can I get this motor out of, that will fit i my car. would it be better to buy one that was rebuilt from some were like nippon motor or some were like that, or how about finding one in a junk yard.?
Old 09-11-2002, 05:08 PM
91GSR hatch

man i have a jdm not the usdm american made gsr they suck but i have a 95 in mine?? guess it really dosent matter cause u have 2 swapp ecu and tranny 2 and u might wanna save up for a new clutch why ur at it mine went out a week later..
Old 09-12-2002, 11:38 AM
thorbeast

I was planning on a jdm! Where did you get you'r motor? and how much did it cost? did you buy a rebuild? I was thinking maybe I would get one out of a junk yard and then rebuild it my self, what do you think?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:16 PM
91GSR hatch

GOT MINE FROM ALTERNATIVE MOTORSPORTS!!THEY DID THE SWAPP IN 2 DAY!!$3200 FOR THE MOTOR THEN 800 FOR INSTALLATION THEN PLAN ON BUYIN A CLUTCH I GOT THE CLUTCH MASTERS STAGE 1 $350 THEN 150 FOR INSTALLATION!!YEAH I THINK IT WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER IF U COULD FIND ONE IN A JUNKYARD BUT GOOD LOOK!!U'D PROABLY ONLY BE ABLE 2 FIND A B18C1 WHICH IS THE USDM NOT JDM MADE IN CALIFORNIA..
Old 09-12-2002, 12:51 PM
thorbeast

mmmmm.......... I think I am going to start looking around just to see how much things are how hard they are to find! some one told me I should put an ls motor in my car, know anything about it?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by 91GSR hatch
U'D PROABLY ONLY BE ABLE 2 FIND A B18C1 WHICH IS THE USDM NOT JDM MADE IN CALIFORNIA..
What is made in California? I hope you don't mean the engine, because B18C1's were made in Japan for exportation to the US.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:17 PM
91GSR hatch

man the b18c1 is a usdm not jdm??jd, is shipped from japan call ur local shop they will tell u
Old 09-12-2002, 07:19 PM
91GSR hatch

A frien of mine has an ls is not vtech he ran a 15.1 which int bad but if u had the money get the gsr get the b18c5 not b18c1 the amaerican gsr sucks
Old 09-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

man the b18c1 is a usdm not jdm??jd, is shipped from japan call ur local shop they will tell u
A frien of mine has an ls is not vtech he ran a 15.1 which int bad but if u had the money get the gsr get the b18c5 not b18c1 the amaerican gsr sucks
What are you talking about? Now you're really confusing me. What do you think is so bad about the USDM (B18C1) GS-R engines? There is very little difference between it and the JDM (B18C) GS-R engine. They were both made by Honda, in Japan. The B18C1 was made for cars that were shipped to America, while the B18C was put in cars that were sold domestically in Japan. Why do you keep posting that the USDM motor "sucks"?

BTW, "Vtech" is a company that makes phones. VTEC is the Honda acronym for varitible valve timing and lift electronic control. Did you spend $4k to put a JDM B18C in your car, and you don't even know it says "VTEC" on the top?
Old 09-12-2002, 08:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Default Re: gsr in a civic

Originally posted by thorbeast
I am looking (hopefully someday) to put an gsr motor in to my car I have a 91 civic HB. what year teg. can I get this motor out of, that will fit i my car. would it be better to buy one that was rebuilt from some were like nippon motor or some were like that, or how about finding one in a junk yard.?
Anyway, back to the real subject. You can get a B17A1 GS-R motor from a 92-93 GS-R, but they are very rare. They were built with a B16 block and head, but utilized different rods, crank, and pistons then the B16 to stroke out an extra 1/10 of a litre. If you use one of these, you will definatly stand out as having a very uncommon engine. The pluses include the cable transaxle that they were sold with (YS1) have the best gearing besides the ITR box.

You could also get a B18C or B18C1 out of a JDM 93-00 or USDM 94-01, respectively. They, of course, are the engines that commonly carry the "GS-R engine" nickname. They are much more common and more powerful then the B17A1 they replaced. These, however, came with a hydrolic transaxle, and you would need to get a cable transaxle to use with your car.

Rebuilding is up to you, it really depends on the milage the engine has on it. Most JDM imports are under 40k miles, so there is no reason to rebuild unless it was abused in it's past life. On the other hand, US engines like you would find in junk yards typically have much higher milage, so a rebuild would be advisable. While you are at it, you might as well chip in a couple extra dollars for aftermarket pistons, high compression for all motor or low compression for forced induction work. Any motor you choose, however, will need a set of aftermarket mounts to fit, as well as backdated electronics and a cable transaxle. It would be much easier to install a first generation JDM B16 (Civic/CRX Si-R or Integra XSi) IMHO, because it would already come with the proper transaxle and electronics.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: gsr in a civic