Notices

CRX Targa (input please)

Old 09-11-2002, 01:53 PM
88Cardrex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX Targa (input please)

I've never actually posted on this board but I used to post on a couple other boards under the name Benja. Anyways, I've been working my ass off most of the summer fixing up my piece of **** rex I bought last spring. It had the usual gigantic rust spots in every imagineable place and tail lights broken, and to top it off a week after I bought it someone did a hit and run and pushed in my whole front left side. So anyways, numerous cans of bondo, a body kit (which was different from what I actually ordered, steer clear of import adrenalin) and tons of interior rewiring and setting up my system I thought I was finally ready to paint my car. The previous owner had decided it was a good idea to silicone the sunroof shut because it was leaking. No big deal I thought, I'll just get a new one and put it in. Well it turns out the Webasto Crank Slider sunroof left existence about 10 years ago and now can only be replaced with the electric model which runs about 600, or 900 installed. THAT's more than I paid for the damn car! So anyways, for 900 bucks I'm betting I can do my own custom targa top. My Question is would you guys recommend that I get a top off of a del sol and try to customize it to the CRX or should I cut and weld my own out of sheet metal? Any suggestions would be great. And all the naysayers can piss off :fawk:

Ben Russell
Xenoben187@cs.com
aol IM: Xenoben187

p.s. if you're in the louisville area you can see my primered out rex cruisin the block and for everyone else i'll try and get some pics up soon
Old 09-11-2002, 02:34 PM
WhiteRice

of the two choices, I'd do the del sol.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

I guess I'm a naysayer. You really shouldn't cut the roof of a unibody car without bracing the body somehow. Even stock Del Sols have problems with the bodies cracking. T-tops might be slightly better. But it's not something I would attempt.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:48 PM
shiznattik

Why don't you get a roof off a DX or HF?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:57 PM
88Cardrex

I am planning on implementing atleast a 4 point rollcage along with the top, or perhaps a 6 point if necessary, it's too late for me to go back now, I already got the del sol top on the way :P
Old 09-12-2002, 05:21 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Yeah for real just put a DX roof on it.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:16 AM
88Cardrex

I think maybe I just wanted the excuse to do the targa top haha
Old 09-15-2002, 03:26 PM

id love to see IN PROGRESS PICS, im planning a 90' rex Type R project, and id like to see how that turns out. thanks you
Old 09-15-2002, 08:40 PM
ronaldmcdonald

not sure if this helps, but I found this fiberglass sunroof filler for the CRX that sells for $125.

http://www.mmrusa.com/8891Fiber.htm
Old 09-15-2002, 08:46 PM
cwhiteboy

im with you man, i've always wondered what a targa crx would look like, and its something new. Go for it, its your car. Mad props if you get straight.

Quick Reply: CRX Targa (input please)