Notices

Whats The biggest engine that you can out in a 90 crx si?

Old 11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on going boost than the B18B or LSVTEC (B18B block with B18C or B16A head) would be your best bet. Having a CRVTEC (B20B or B20Z block with B16A or B18C head) than boosting it isn't the greatest idea because the B20 block isn't meant to handle that much pressure and stress. True, it could be resleeved and built up, but you'd save more time and money in the long run by using the LS bottom end which already comes strong enough from the factory to handle mild boost.

Note that all of these options will fit easily into the CRX with only a simple OBD conversion required. Anything larger like the H22 or K-Series motors will require some modification to the inside of your engine bay.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Danpjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i got the h22 or K would i even need a turbo or would i be pretty darn good with out it?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Danpjack

any way i think when i do it i'm gunna get the b20 and just put a turbo in it and call it a day so that i do n't have to do that much work to get it in and i can just do the damn thang! now i just have to find a place to get 1....any 1 know a place that i can get one order or go pick up or w/e. i live in st. louis and i'm not ready to do it yet just i got to start thinking. i'm getting all my body, paint and every thing on the outside redone in the spring so after that i'm ready

let me know if theres a web site for 1 and a good place to get a turbo
Old 11-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You make it sound like it's something you can drop right in and call it a day. Boosting a non-turbo motor requires a lot of special tuning and peripheral modifications to work properly. You may have to get some lower compression pistons, which if I am not mistaken, there is no company that makes low compression pistons for the B20. You will have to get some custom made so be prepared to shell out some cash. You'll also need to upgrade your fuel system (ie. pump, injectors, rail) and do some fine tuning with the pressure. At the same time, you'll have to fine tune your air/fuel ratio at various boost levels with either an SAFC or VAFC. Use an LS Crank and make sure you resleeve your block or it will crack with the boost. Also, get some stronger connecting rods like Eagle and perhaps some ARP studs. If you don't pay great attention to detail in a project like this, don't expect your motor to last very long.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea, if your planning to boost, go with the B18... Either the B18C1 or non VTEC B18A/B... Running alow amount of boost (8 PSI tops) will be fine for a 'plug and play' setup... And it will hold up better than a stock B20 would... B20s are more if u wanna build up the block... The B18 is more a plug and play type of setup...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Danpjack

o i know i'm gunna have to do some stuff no matter what but i just dont' want to change my engine bay or any thing like that and that step is a long way away
Old 11-22-2005, 10:59 PM
crx_si

i've heard some were that someone but some cadillac motor in a rex
Old 11-23-2005, 04:17 AM
Danpjack

umm only if they did some fab to the car its self no way that would fit with out some fab
Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 AM
gingas

Hopefully this might help. IMO for all motor go w/ a B18C JDM or USDM B18C1 170 hp. No big mods except for tranny conv. from cable to hydro vice versa. Or really go crazy get a USDM B18C5 type r motor. I feel thats the best in a rex. You can run mid to low 14's all day . H22's are nice just too much xtra work. Everyone have different opinions