Notices

obd1/obd0 ((dumb question))

Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
xxdevlynxisaiah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd1/obd0 ((dumb question))

okay so i thought a new *something* about cars...guess not lol.. i see ppl talking all the time about obd1 and obd0 what are the difference between these 2, what do they stand for, what are they reffering to? i have tried every search engine i can to figure it out and have had no luck
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxdevlynxisaiah
okay so i thought a new *something* about cars...guess not lol.. i see ppl talking all the time about obd1 and obd0 what are the difference between these 2, what do they stand for, what are they reffering to? i have tried every search engine i can to figure it out and have had no luck
the version of onboard diagnostics used. OBD stands for OnBoard Diagnostics.

generally speaking, the newer the obd system the more computer cotrolled a car is

OBD systems have changed little since they were standardized with OBD-II in 1996, and now there are tons of sensors constantly checking your car, if something is out of spec it will return a check engine light and if you scan the computer it will tell you whats wrong (though it doesnt detect near all of the problems that could go wrong, it can help tell you and diagnose a problem in your car)
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
xxdevlynxisaiah

thanks for the insite, so i intend on doing a turbo mini me swap d15b7, would it be wise to conver obd0-obd1?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

If you plan to boost, its always a good idea to get some sort of fuel managment... And with fuel managment, there are more options in OBD1... But theres still plenty with OBD0... It all depends on which way you want to go...

Personally, with a mini me Id go OBD1, and just swap in the entire engine... Why swap in a B7 and then do a mini me? (I assume this is a pre92 Civic right since this is the pre92 section, and the pre92s didnt come with the B7, the 92-95 DX/LX's did)... Eitherway, with that swap id go OBD1... But if your car IS a 92-95, you are already OBD1, no need to convert...
Old 11-15-2005, 07:08 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

my advice: learn some more before you plan anything
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

In the most basic way possible:

OBD-0 is like a 386.
OBD-1 is like a Pentium 1.

OBD-1 is newer, smarter, and faster then OBD-0. It can read from more sensors, sample, and calculate air/fuel mixtures faster and more efficiently with more built-in error detection capabilities.

The move was due to tighter emissions standards.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
xxdevlynxisaiah

thanks to ppl who have helped, i had a friend who i was asking about the mini me swap...told that it was easiest done with the b7 which is why i decided to think about that, and as for sherwood...i posted a question to get some help...not to get a jackass who wants to get on my ass about being a 16 yr old who doesnt know enough about cars...and yah its a first gen rex SI ..
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

huh? was i being a jackass? i was being completely serious

i'm not commenting on your ability to learn i'm rather commenting on the way you are going about it. if you dont know what OBD's are you certainly arent ready to do this, and the best advice i can give is for you to save your money and put it towards a car that is worth putting your hard earned money into and not a 20 year old money pit.

but it is your money, and many people are in love with the Gen 1 CRX, so i can't really blame you for wanting to do this, i just would like to see you research what you might run into with doing these things vs on other cars which might be a better platform to learn on
Old 11-18-2005, 06:41 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

He'll have a jolly old time trying to rewire a pre-OBD chassis to either of the newer systems, not to mention the PITA mounting a B7 in a 3G (1G CRX) body will be.