Notices

Threadlocker on crankshaft pulley bolt or not?

Old 11-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threadlocker on crankshaft pulley bolt or not?

I'm thinking since my impact gun was to big of a wuss to take the bolt off, i'm thinking it may not be powerful enough to put it back on. Should i put a little threadlocker(blue locktite medium strength stuff) on it before i put it back on with my not so powerful impact gun? It's powerful, but not powerful enough to take the crankshaft pulley bolt off.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:53 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

U need to just go somewhere with a higher PSI Rating on the impact gun.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Dont use an impact to put it on! Yes use locktite... But use a torque wrench and torque it down to 133 ft lbs I think it is (double check Helms)... But DO NOT use an impact!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Just torque it to spec. It would really suck for the next unfortunate person who had the duty of breaking that sucker loose after it has been smeared in locktite.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Any large bolt like that will be hard to break with a weaker impact gun, however that same impact gun can easily overtighten it. It's always harder to initially loosen then it is to retorque. Just think about how difficult some of the little 10mm bolts can be to remove, but when you put it back together it's all too easy to strip. Same principle.

No locktite.

I'm still in debt to my tool guy for the 1000lb-ft impact gun I have now... it makes crank pulley bolts fly right out. :chuckles:
Old 11-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I always heard to use locktite on it, cuz Honda uses it (well Honda bond) when they put it on... Good thing I forgot that step when I did both timing belts on the cars Ive done it on...
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 AM
mullinator

Exempt-- what, huh?? Locktite?? NO. And Hondabond is a gasket sealer for goodness sake!!? That's nuts.

Just a torque wrench That's it.

-scott
Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by Exempt
cuz Honda uses it (well Honda bond) when they put it on...
No they don't. Honda bond is simply a gasket sealer intended for the corners of valve covers, oil pan gaskets, and various other parts throughout Honda passenger cars and motorcycles. It's like rubber when it dries. It's on par with grey RTV, IIRC.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I knew it was a gasket sealer... I just thought I read that somwhere... Oh well... Like I said, good thing I always skipped that step when putting it back in...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 AM
EQMD EF8

Harbor Freight Tool company sells a tool called a flywheel turner. You can use that to hold the flywheel while you remove the crank pulley bolt. You can always use your impact gun to tighten the bolt, that will break it free of rust and then reverse it out. If your changing your crank pulley for an aftermarket one, you can always use a pipe wrench to hold the crank pulley still while you turn the crank bolt. I personally use a 18inch breaker bar and a 4ft piece of steel pipe on the end to remove axle nuts and crank pulley bolts.