Notices

My VTEC Won't come on

Old 11-12-2005, 07:10 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My VTEC Won't come on

Well, I added some oil to my car, and adjsuted my valves. I was gettin ready to race tonight, and my car wouldnt hit VTEC. When I was driving sometimes it would, and sometimes it wouldnt. I have a VTEC light in my car so I know when it comes on. So it isn't like the car is low on oil. It just wouldn't come on sometimes. And then when I would turn off the car and then turn it back on, it would work and i would feel like i was flying again. BUt for some reason it wont turn on. MY ECU blink codes are 1,14, 6. It is O2, IACV, Engine Coolant Temperaure Switch. The NUmber 6 was the one that came on tonight. I have never seen that one before. Any Clue?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Fix your codes and your vtec will work.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Magic Carpet
If you got em, burn em!

yeah vtec usually doesnt kick in when the CEL is on.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:34 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Vtec will not kick in with the CEL light on. The coolant temperature sensor is located near the vtec oil pressure switch, a little below the distributor. It has a single wire sensor plugged into it. Replace that sensor, fix your iacv(or replace), and replace your o2 and your car should work fine. Even if your CEL is off, vtec will not engage if your ecu has codes in it, so make sure you reset your ecu after you're done.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

well, I have had the O2 Code and the IACV Code on there for a while, and VTEC has always kicked in. ALWAYS. I came home, and unpluged the VTEC Solenoid, and replugged it in. Also, IDK if this would be a bad thing, but my OIL dipstick wasn't pushed in all the way, some oil was coming out of it. I pushed it all the way in, and now my VTEC is kicking in, but it is when I rev it, I haven't drivin' it yet. I just took my ECU out to Reset it. So I guess we will see.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

The number 6 code didn't come on when I reset my ECU. BUt for some reason I will be driving my car, and it is working fine, but then all of a sudden my VTEC stops working. Sometimes it will kick on and work, then 2 seconds later it won't. Could it be that I need a new VTEC Solenoid?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

If you have CELs, VTEC will not engage, period... The ECU is too smart, and knows when theres a problem (hence the CEL), and will not put any more stress on the engine by engaging VTEC... But eitherway, if you have CELs, the LAST thing on your mind should be VTEC! Fix your damn CELs first... If your throwing codes, theres a problem!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:13 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by Exempt
If you have CELs, VTEC will not engage, period... The ECU is too smart, and knows when theres a problem (hence the CEL), and will not put any more stress on the engine by engaging VTEC... But eitherway, if you have CELs, the LAST thing on your mind should be VTEC! Fix your damn CELs first... If your throwing codes, theres a problem!
i thought so... Vtec wouldn't engage in my car even if the CEL is not on, just as long as the ecu is throwing a code.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If the vtec solenoid were bad, it would be throwing codes for that too. Just fix the CEL and stop trying to skirt around the problem...it isn't a good thing to be driving the car around with a faulty O2 sensor and IACV. Fix the CEL and I'll bet that your gas mileage will go up and your car will feel a lot more powerful.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:54 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Ok, I can fix the IACV. BUt my other problem is that, I have NEVER had an O2 Sensor on my car. I have the 1 plug hangin off for it. BUt it has never been plugged in. I don't have a spot where an O2 sensor is supposed to go.