Notices

How to get the dang flywheel bolt off?

Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get the dang crankshaft pulley bolt off?

I just broke my flywheel(crankshaft pulley) trying to get the bolt off. I stuck a punch in one of the holes so it would'nt turn. I then stood on the wrench and the flywheel popped in half. Of course, i thought it successfully un did the bolt but i was wrong. How much should i expect to pay for a new flywheel for a 91 crx si? I guess i'm fixing to call some junk yards up. Also, any tips on how to undo the bolt. I'm in the process of changing my timing belt, water pump, etc. is why i'm trying to take it off. I've heard where you can put the wrench on it and crank the car over and let it hit the ground. Is this a good way to do it? My impact gun is to big of a wuss to undo it.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I cant beleive u broke a flywheel in half! Teeth, Ive heard of, but the whole flywheel in half??? Thats crazy! Well, a flywheel wont be much, if u buy a used one... Ive seen them go for $15 on eBay... Maybe $30 after shipping... But since u have to go in there anyways, if u havnt done so recently, get a clutch and PP aswell... And get the flywheel resurphaced if its not brand new...

As for crank pulley bolt... When my brother and I did his timing belt, finally after we bought a brand new compressor, impact gun, a long breaker bar, strap wrench and just about every tool we could think of to get it off... We ended up just taking it to a shop to have them use their impact on it... Took them 5 friggin minutes, we spent days and it didnt budge! So they tighened it back up a bit just enough to get us home and we got it right off...
Old 11-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Tankard

Not the clutch flywheel thing. The pulley that the alternator and a/c belt wraps around popped in half when i was trying to undo the bolt. Dumbass me had a punch in one of the holes to keep it from turning. I could'nt find any at local salvage yards so i just ordered a new one for 160 bucks from my local Honda place.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

oooo... Well u called it a flywheel... Thats called a crank pulley or under drive pully... Still cant believe u broke it in half... Those are pretty heavy duty... And you probably coulda got one used for MUCH cheaper... Anyways, to get it off now, hell I dunno... The car should drive (but not for long) without the alternator hooked up... So hurry up and hop in the car and drive down a shop and have them break that bolt for u... Only thing I can think of... And bring a batt charger just in case... And dont use the radio and turn signals and things as little as possible... I honestly wouldnt try the turn it over with a wrench on it idea... I think the engine spins the wrong way for that...
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Tankard

Yep. I just broke a damn strap wrench tool trying to get it off. Fark. I may have to resort to your idea. I still have'nt tried my idea yet about bumping the engine over and letting the wrench hit the ground. Damn. I hate when you start something and everything goes wrong. I went ahead and ordered the timing belt pully also since i've already spent a crap load on all the damn parts(tools) i've broken anyway. Any other ideas to break this dang bolt loose? You think heating it up with a torch may work without messing up the main seal on the motor and then putting my impact to it?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Tankard

Finally got it off after destroying 200 bucks worth of tools and parts.
I simply gripped some vice grips on the outer edge of the pully and let it rest against the lower suspension arm. I then put a big socket wrench with an extension and kind of jerked it back and fourth until i heard it breaking loose. If you just put constant pressure on it(standing on it), something(pulley or vise grip tool) will break. I still would'nt do it this way, because i just saw where it messed up the pully(the side that was'nt already broken off) where the vice grip was. I'm sure a very very very powerful impact is the right way to take if off. Or you could use the starter bump method i'm sure with success. What i've learned is never hold the pulley itself, or you may mess it up like i did.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Heard of an impact gun?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 AM
mullinator

Honda's spin "the wrong way" (except the S2000), so the starter bump method will likely only help you if you're trying to forcibly unwire your starter!

As far as keeping the motor from turning goes, you can pull the plug on a cylinder that's just starting its compression stroke and stuff some rope in the hole until the cyl is filled. You'll compress the rope which will hold the engine while the impact gun does its work.

-scott "Pulling the crankshaft pulley bolt is like skinning a cat."
Old 11-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by RedlineBoyzCRX
Heard of an impact gun?
Uh, yea. It was mentioned above that mine was not powerful enough. I did'nt feel like going and buying a more powerful one, which is probably going to be on my Christmas list.

Originally Posted by mullinator
Honda's spin "the wrong way" (except the S2000), so the starter bump method will likely only help you if you're trying to forcibly unwire your starter!

As far as keeping the motor from turning goes, you can pull the plug on a cylinder that's just starting its compression stroke and stuff some rope in the hole until the cyl is filled. You'll compress the rope which will hold the engine while the impact gun does its work.

-scott "Pulling the crankshaft pulley bolt is like skinning a cat."
Thanks for the info. I actually found a better way by searching and reading the forums that actually works great without having to use a very powerful impact gun. You can simply put it in 5th gear and have somebody hold the brakes while you tighten it or loosen it with a wrench and breaker bar or another wrench on the end of the wrench. This is the way i put it back on good and tight after hitting it with my not so powerful impact gun. And my timing belt, water pump, and tensioner pulley change was a success after spending about a couple hundred extra dollars, which will never happen again knowing what i know now.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:15 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

U can go to a shop and just use one of there's, thats what i usually do.