Notices

My TPS on my B16 just stopped working

Old 10-15-2005, 02:05 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My TPS on my B16 just stopped working

Well, I little while back, I had my mechanic build me a hybrid harness for my B16a in my 1991 CRX. So he buitl everything, and every single thing works as it is supposed to. I need a new IACV but that is besides the point. He adjsuted my TPS and had it working great the car felt like it was tearing it up. Then I started up the car the other day and it was running funny, like i heard a weird sound in th exhaust. So I check the ECU codes and it threw a TPS. The TPS didnt come loose and was comepletly fine. It was still plugged in. What would cause this problem. Do I need a new TPS? I just bought this one a little while ago and got it on there. What do I have to do to get it to work. Also my ECU flashed IACV, do I really need to replace that, or is it not that important, like an oxygen sensor? Will that make my car run better if i get a new one of those? Anywayz, what the heck is up with my TPS, I unplugged the ECU and it reset it self, and then it still flashed the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:02 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

I would first check the wires from the tps, to the main harness, or even check the plastic connector on the tps itself. For some reason, the plastic connector to the tps on my old d was crumbling, and came loose, causing the tps to throw a code. If the wiring checks out, make sure the wires are getting power. If that checks out too, then maybe you need to adjust the tps sensor itself. Then if ALL that shit doesn't work, then you should look into replacing the tps. Hopefully that isn't the problem though. Good luck man!
Old 10-16-2005, 07:06 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
I would first check the wires from the tps, to the main harness, or even check the plastic connector on the tps itself. For some reason, the plastic connector to the tps on my old d was crumbling, and came loose, causing the tps to throw a code. If the wiring checks out, make sure the wires are getting power. If that checks out too, then maybe you need to adjust the tps sensor itself. Then if ALL that shit doesn't work, then you should look into replacing the tps. Hopefully that isn't the problem though. Good luck man!

Well, I I don't really need to check the wires, because like I said my mechanic just built the harness for me. The TPS worked great, and did not come loose since then. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. I reset the ECU and it still does the same thing.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:08 PM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Well, i guess you'll have to replace that sucker then. Test the tps for resistance. Are you having typical tps problems (car surging at more than 1/2 throttle)?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:15 PM
xpman

Originally Posted by RevengeCRX
If the wiring checks out, make sure the wires are getting power. If that checks out too, then maybe you need to adjust the tps sensor itself.
Where is the adjustment in the TPS and how do you adjust it correctly?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Originally Posted by xpman
Where is the adjustment in the TPS and how do you adjust it correctly?
On a b16 motor, the tps has a little room for adjustment. If you look at the holes where the bolt holes that hold the sensor to the throttle body go, they are wide so you can turn it one way or the other, i think about 20 degrees either way. I'm just not sure if adjusting it will help:dunno:.