Notices

My 89 Civic HB has gone crazy. Please Help!

Old 10-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Primerpony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 89 Civic HB has gone crazy. Please Help!

The civic would get hot then when I shut it off it wouldn't start for about a half hour or so. Now it won't start at all. It backfires out the exhaust and intake. It is also flooding. The plugs are black and soaked with fuel. Also on the occasional event the civic does start it blows tons of blue/black smoke and will not idle you have to keep the rpm's up or it dies.. It ran when I parked it and the next time I tried to start it it does this now. I have spark, It is in time, I obviously have fuel. I'm lost. I have replaced the coil, plugs, wires, and main relay.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 PM
dmd747

Looks like now would be a great time to look into a swap dude! You're running the stock motor now ryt? I think the motor is close to it's grave my friend.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:10 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

I would agree with dmd747. That doesn't sound like something that's gonna be cheap to fix. I think blue smoke means fuel is burning, while black means oil. Wow...Just get rid of that d man. I spent a good amount of money just maintaining my old d. Whenever I think back, I wonder why I didn't do this swap sooner? Good luck!
Old 10-15-2005, 04:15 AM
phil300z

Yeah.. sounds like oil is in the cylinders... head gasket. Also, if it is flooding, you may need new injector o-rings. I just had to do this on my car b/c I took out my injectors & the o-rings broke b/c of age ($20 bucks from the dealership for 5 new injector o-rings). I also recently had to replace my head gasket & main relay. The car runs good now besides running a little rich, but it's always done that. BTW mine is the 1.5 dx dual-port fi engine.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Primerpony

Default *Update*

I think I have found the problems. It looks like there were multiple issues involved.
  1. Small break in wire from connector to coil. (erratic misfiring and backfiring?)
  2. Main Relay bad/dying (no start when warm issues)
The flooding is still a mystery but with those corrections she is back on the road. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:28 AM
RevengeCRX
89 CRX si, now with b16!

Cool. For the flooding problem, it could either be a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaky injectors/o-rings, or faulty fuel pump, and maybe even the main relay itself.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

If you really want to keep that D you needs to put all new seals on the whole motor and all new gaskets. After you do that start running systhetic oil in your car instead. You will be better off. I put all new seals on ym friends D and repalced the smae stuff you did, and rechecked all the wiring, replaced all bad sensors and did everything until the check engine light was off and it wouldn't burn oil and it actually idled right. It worked for me.