Notices

White Smoke.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
shady visions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke.

Alright, I've got white smoke coming out of my exhaust and VERY VERY SMALL amount coming from the engine. In the past, I was told that this was most likely an oil leak. I assumed it was so, seeing as the headgasket was cracked and broken, and even missing pieces, and the oil was even leaking onto the block. So, one day me and a friend took the engine apart and took out hte block and head and cleaned them to get all of the excess oil out, cleaned the old headgasket remnants off, and put a new headgasket and seals on all of the manifolds and head. This was about 6 months ago. I had the car in the shop to fix some other mechanical / fuel problems, and now I went outside to start the car when I got home from school, and it started right up (from not having been started in about a month and a half, and not starting during that time when I tried to), so I thought it was weird that it started.

Now, the first problem was of course the smoke. It came mostly from the exhaust and had an oil-like smell, but it didn't smell like the oil did when I had the original leak. What else could that be?

Also, something else I noticed, I was revving it up to see how its idle was (for some reason it now idles normally), but the problem with the RPMs now is, When it goes over 2750 RPMs, and then goes down, when it gets back to the 2750 RPMs, i hear a grinding noise. I don't have any idea what that could be or have to do other than maybe a cam or a bent valve?

Lastly, I'd just like to know if anyone has any more ideas for me to check out on that smoke. I checked out the block and the manifold and everything was sealed properly and I couldn't see any signs of oil leaking out of it.

thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:50 AM
mikemerc85
Git-R-Done

my power steering is leakin and some of the fluid got on my exhaust mani and it smoked white. thats the only other thing i can think of. oil burning is usually blue if its comin from the exhaust, while white is usually antifreeze.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:54 AM
97civicEXVTEC

white smoke from the exhaust means ur burning coolant, check your oil to see if it is contaminated ( it would look like it has a milky white solution in it) check your head gasket again..

i have the same grinding problem, im going to work on mine today, try changing your transmission fluid..
Old 08-27-2005, 11:23 PM
shady visions

Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC
white smoke from the exhaust means ur burning coolant, check your oil to see if it is contaminated ( it would look like it has a milky white solution in it) check your head gasket again..

i have the same grinding problem, im going to work on mine today, try changing your transmission fluid..
(in reply to the person above this guy's post:
I don't have power steering.

Yeah, I thought that it might be coolant, so what you're saying is look at the oil on the dipstick to see if it has some milky solution mixed in with the oil?

The grinding problem, what would my transmission fluid have to do with it? The car is sitting in neutral. Or does it not make a difference?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
mullinator

Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil burns grayish-white. Very similar to coolant. -scott
Old 08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
ronin84

Originally Posted by mullinator
Mobil 1 full-synthetic oil burns grayish-white. Very similar to coolant. -scott
yes it does... i had the same problem - in terms of blowing a crapload of white smoke out the back - and i was burning about 2 litres every 100 miles. mobil1fullsyn...
Old 08-30-2005, 06:41 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Just some random thoughts...

Maybe this is a "duh" answer but if you suspect coolant, check to see if your coolant level is going down.

Pull a spark plug and look at it. You may get some clues from a visual inspection.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
97civicEXVTEC

i jus found out recently that the grinding could have to do with ur clutch master cylinder