Notices

Dash Removal

Old 09-05-2002, 01:50 PM
WhiteRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Removal

A while back I saw a link to a page explaining the steps to dash removal. Anyone help me out with that?? THanks.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:27 PM
AwwsChwA

Default Re: Dash Removal

Originally posted by WhiteRice
A while back I saw a link to a page explaining the steps to dash removal. Anyone help me out with that?? THanks.
I don't have a link, but I can guide you thru it...

first, pop off the little vent covers that are at the far sides of the dash, where the doors close to meet flush with the dash. Those two covers have a 12mm bolt under em. Take those two bolts out.

Next, pop out the little cover right at at the center of the dashboard, right where the dash meets the windshield. Take out that 12mm bolt.

After those 3 bolts are out, there's two more 12mm bolts at the far sides of the dash, down where the foot-compartments start. It's kinda hard to explain...down at the very edge where the dash meets the door panels, and where the dash stops and the open foot-space starts. Take out those two bolts.

Then, there's one more 12mm bolt that holds the whole dash down to the floor of the car. You gotta pull out the center console that fits around the shift stick. It's 4 screws to take that out. Once you get that out, pull out that last bolt.

Then, pull out the stereo and temp control plugs. This is a pain in the ass, but it'll save you from breaking stuff like your temp control, the stereo, etc...

Once you have the temp control and stereo and stuff disconnected, there's 4 screws that hold the guage cluster dome on. Two of them are on top, close to where the windshield meets the dash, and the other two you gotta get from below. Look up from below the steering wheel, and you'll see the screws that hold the guage cluster dome on from the bottom.

Once all that's out, you just jiggle the entire dashboard out far enough to disconnect the other electrical plugs that are attached to it that power the sunroom, rear defrost, and a couple other things. Be gentle, cuz you might find other stuff to disconnect.

I had to pull out all of the vent covers. That was a pain in the ass, but in my case, necessary. Good luck
Old 09-05-2002, 06:30 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

whats the project?? fiberglass?
Old 09-05-2002, 06:45 PM
WhiteRice

No......Nothing big like that. I'd love fiberglass though!!! Wouldn't even know where to start!

I found a really kewl 3 gauge pod on groubbuy. It's not the A-pillar kind, it's horizontal. Anyway, I've dremeled it down (damn I love my dremel! ) so it'll fit directly in the top of my dash. Right above the center vents where the little indentations are. Gotta remove the dash to drill the holes to run the wires.....Don't wanna drill through anything important!!! It's gonna look sweet. It's not too showy where people will see it right away either. I won't be doing this till next spring (when my turbo project is complete), but my brother is gonna do it sometime this fall for his JRSC.

THanks for the step by step process, that'll do fine!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: As long as you didn't forget anythign!!!!! :fawk:
Old 09-06-2002, 04:40 AM
excitid

I may be wrong but I had to take off my steering wheel and then unplug the wires and remove my blinker and wiper thing thats held on by two screws so the dash would come out without interference. there is also a ground wire that needs to be unbolted but you see it when your trying to get it out.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:35 PM
AwwsChwA

Originally posted by excitid
I may be wrong but I had to take off my steering wheel and then unplug the wires and remove my blinker and wiper thing thats held on by two screws so the dash would come out without interference. there is also a ground wire that needs to be unbolted but you see it when your trying to get it out.
you *can* pull the steering wheel, but it's not necessary. You can work the dash out far enough to reach underneath and pull out the plugs. Then you just lift the dash up over the steering wheel.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:09 PM
WhiteRice

Thanks for all the help guys, thats great!!!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 12:11 AM
excitid

let us know how it goes dpn't forget the pics
Old 09-07-2002, 05:14 AM
WhiteRice

OK...Like i said before...my brother should be doing it shortly, I won't be doing it till spring...but I'll try to take a few pics of where be. I only have one of the three guages, but still looks good!!!
Old 09-07-2002, 05:46 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

im doing fiberglass on a 90 LS dash.... not hard just time consuming! :thumbup:

oh yeah and heavier than stock

Quick Reply: Dash Removal