Notices

adjustable cam gears

Old 08-09-2005, 06:34 PM
hoperegrine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustable cam gears

i have been playing with my adjustable cams a little bit lately... they adjust up 10 degrees advanced or retarded.. the car came 1 degree advanced, and the throttle was a little delayed, which i figured could have been for a number of reasons, but recently i retarded it 1 degree just to experiment and it was even more delayed, obviously i went back and advanced it, now its at 2 degrees advanced, and there is a HUGE difference in the 5000+ rpm range whereas before it almost did nothing when i pushed it past 5000, and i also noticed it is less delayed, i have read the threads regarding adjustable cams and i can see the most dont reccomend it but i feel a big gain from one degree natually i want to push it to 3 degrees and see what happens but im just wondering two things, first how far can you advance it before it would be considered dangerous, and 2, could the cam gear have been installed wrong and 2 degrees forward actually be 0? follow me? is it pretty safe to go another degree up and see if it still gains more?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
VTEC-Power

On my old SOHC I had -2 degrees, but cam gears won't do crap without good cams
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Best way to tune cams is not in your back yard... Its on a dyno with a professional... And yea, without cams and other mods, they will rarely do anything...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
hoperegrine

Default ...

while i appreciate your guys' advice, you didnt answer either of my questions. id also like to add that it gets better milage when more advanced which is why im thinking it was installed incorrectly... im not sure if it has stock cams or what, the car was sold as is... and i cant afford dyno tuning atm
Old 08-10-2005, 10:05 AM
VTEC-Power

you wont get better gas mileage and if you don it would be barely noticable