Notices

This vs. That...? (long)

Old 09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Magik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This vs. That...? (long)

Ok...where do I start...

So...the rumbling begins...yes, yet another hole in the exhaust...sigh...but this time it's not a cheap hole...it's the front pipe...dammit. So...off to my usual "part's stores" and the majority of them don't carry them...no, I don't want to go to the dealer...don't make me...soooo here I am at the dealer where he tells me that it's going to be $198 CAN (taxes in) for a piece of pipe that is no more than a foot and a half long! Dammit!
So...I rumble away...to my mechanic, to see if he can just "fix" it for a while until I can save the money. But the owner of the garage is there and he says that I need a new pipe, and I tell hime that that is what I was trying to avoid...my mechanic says that they could make one. $161 CAN (taxes in)...sigh.
So...with a stroke of genius I go to Canadian Tire (I love that store) and buy a piece of exhaust pipe about 4" long and two clamps...I cut a slit in the 4" piece about a half inch wide with a hack saw...slip it around the front pipe where the hole is and make sure that the slit I cut is on the opposite side as the hole...put on the clamps and tighten it up...I apply some muffler cement on either end...start the car...Woo Hoo...no more rumble!!
So...I know this is only a temporary fix...but for less than $20 CAN...hey...works for me!
Now...someone at one point suggested I put a header on my car and I would love to do so.
Finally...my question is does a header extend far enough to connect to the rest of the exhaust, eliminating the 'front pipe' in question thus eliminating the cost of replacing it...the money going into the cost of the header...'two birds with one stone'...I guess you could say?

Any input is greatly appreciated...just so you know...I drive a 1990 Civic HB, 1.5L Engine, 4-speed manual.

Thanx for any help...

Magik
Old 09-04-2002, 01:34 PM
WhiteRice

What trim level do you have??

A header will normally go from the head down to the catalytic conver, which is next in line to the exhaust system.

The HF has the catalytic converter up in front by the radiator, so I'm not sure aobut that one.

Nice quick fix btw...taht's awesome!!! :thumbup: how much was the 198 Can equate to US dollars?
Old 09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Magik

198 Can = 127 US

Trim level? Not sure what u mean...

I don't think that there is 'any' C-Converter on my exhaust...because my car is a 90 and manufactured in Canada (I know that's odd enough)...my mechanic practically had to 'construct' the whole thing when I replaced it from the front pipe back in 2000....the only thing not replaced being the front pipe. That give you any more to go on...?

M
Old 09-04-2002, 01:48 PM
WhiteRice

Trim level is like Si/HF/DX/EX/CX/etc...those little letters are called trim levels!!

no cat/!?! INteresting.......Then you'd have a straight pipe going from the end of the downpipe to the exhaust. You should have a cat.....I had an 93 Si (canadian) and it had a cat.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:54 PM
Magik

Just went and looked...no cat...like I said...this exhaust was practically..."made" from end to end...

Trim Level: none

Also known as an "STD"...bone stock no frills...no CX/DX/Si...nuttin'...

M
Old 09-04-2002, 02:10 PM
WhiteRice

STD.....So is that a 1.5L? i'm not sure about the headers though. Sorry I'm not much help on this one.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Magik

Yup...1.5L, 4-stoke OHC, PGM-FI, 4-speed manual.

M
Old 09-04-2002, 02:51 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

A header for that generation should come in two pieces, the top part and the bottom section that would be bolted together, and should reach to the stock exhaust connection point.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Magik

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
A header for that generation should come in two pieces, the top part and the bottom section that would be bolted together, and should reach to the stock exhaust connection point.
So what you're saying is that buying such a device would eliminate the need for purchasing the 'front pipe' correct?...and do exactly what I am wondering...

M
Old 09-04-2002, 04:08 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

just buy it, you wont regret it! :thumbup:

Quick Reply: This vs. That...? (long)