Notices

This vs. That...? (long)

Old 09-04-2002, 04:13 PM
WhiteRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean the down pipe?? what do you mean by "front pipe"?
Old 09-04-2002, 05:37 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by WhiteRice
Do you mean the down pipe?? what do you mean by "front pipe"?
like 1stgen said...the header comes in 2 parts...the actual header is the exhaust manifold and it connects to the cylinder head (top part in picture)...the 2nd part is the downpipe (2nd part in pic)...it connects to the header and makes the bend under the engine and usually connects to the cat converter or to a straightpipe if no cat is installed

Old 09-04-2002, 05:43 PM
WhiteRice

Originally posted by jaje
like 1stgen said...the header comes in 2 parts...the actual header is the exhaust manifold and it connects to the cylinder head (top part in picture)...the 2nd part is the downpipe (2nd part in pic)...it connects to the header and makes the bend under the engine and usually connects to the cat converter or to a straightpipe if no cat is installed

Thats what i thought, but I just wanted to be sure. Some parts have two names....ie exhaust manifold/header! It's all good! :thumbup:
Old 09-04-2002, 07:02 PM
Magik

You guys just proved why I come here...you answer my questions and I don't even have to ask...I just have to start the thread...and sit back and LEARN.

So obviously this will do what I want...hmmm...now any suggestions as to where to get one of these cheap?

Type/Model/Manufacturer/Best Bang For The Buck/ etc...?

M

PS> What makes adding a hedder/header so different in comparison to what comes stock...what's the difference and what are the benefits/pro's & con's???
Old 09-05-2002, 04:23 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally posted by Magik
What makes adding a hedder/header so different in comparison to what comes stock...what's the difference and what are the benefits/pro's & con's???
the best way to think of the internal combustion engine is as an air pump...the more air you can put through the engine the more powerful it becomes...i.e. an intake header and exhaust help free up stock restrictions free up hp lost

in fact you can't make more hp with an exhaust...you can only free up hp that is lost in a restrictive exhaust...honda exhasts tend to be restrictive b/c of emissions requirements

an aftermarket header typically has a wider opening allowing air to escape the engine easier...it also has polished surfaces helping get rid of the stock rough surfaces that create friction that disrupt air flow out of the engine

overall the aftermarket header and downpipe together should offer better exhaust evacuation than the stock unit

there are also several different types of header/downpipe combos on the market ranging from 4-2-1 piece units (4 pipes into 2 then into 1...2 piece header picture is a 4-2-1) and 4-1 units (the one piece header below is a 4-1 unit)...even turbo'd engines have a different header (shorter to accept the turbocharger)

then theres the stainless steel, ceramic coating, protective coating and el cheapo steel exhausts (no protective coating)...this is in regards to how long they last (resist rust)...typically in terms of lasting effect against heat and rust the stainless > ceramic > protective coating > el cheapo headers/downpipe combos

i recommend a dc sports 4-2-1 header...easy to work on and frees up some decent hp

i can also go on about exhaust backpressure and why its bad to eliminate it completely...but i'm tired

NOTE:...i forgot to mention it but there are one piece headers that you can also buy...they offer marginally better hp but at the expense of working on the car if you don't have access to a shop...such as this one
Old 09-05-2002, 04:27 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Yeah, one-piece headers are a pain on the 4th gen civic platforms due to that cross-member thing 3rd gen is much more header-friendly
Old 09-05-2002, 05:07 AM
Magik

jaje:

Thanx...great input, probably answered questions for others at the same time. Hey that's one advantage to being dumb to some of this stuff, you get to answer other peoples questions too.

Jaje, you recommended the DC Sports 4-2-1 and I was looking at those last night...do you recommend the one piece or the two...you may have told me but I might have missed it.

Anyone else feel free to jump in on this too.

Where in everyone's experience is the 'cheapest' place to acquire one of these.

Magik
Old 09-05-2002, 06:33 AM
WhiteRice

You can try www.groupbuycenter.com that's usually a sure bet. www.lightningmotorsports.com is also a good place.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:31 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

i recommend the 4-2-1 header...easier to install and easier to work on (i.e. changing an oil pan gasket)...

like other said before check groupbuy center and for sale adds...those will get some decent priced ones...i suggest staying away from pacesetter (the cheapest) unless you only want it to last a year...basically search the web looking for vendors of dc sports...and what i usualy do is find a place with the lowest price then call a dealer i've ordered from before to see if they will beat the price
Old 09-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Magik

I just checked with one local shop that I know can get a DC Sports 4-2-1 two peice hedder...are you ready...$798 CAN ($510 US) is that outrageous? I'm considering things like shipping if bought online from the US and such, considering that this one is here...in town...Is that a crazy price? or normal?

M

Quick Reply: This vs. That...? (long)