Notices

Hesitation 91 CRX

Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 AM
sirdave4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation 91 CRX

I have 91 CRX HF and it has a slight hesitation around 2000 RPM's (intermittently). It seems to really happen around 38-48 MPH. It almost feels as if the car isn't getting enough fuel. I have 130K on the car and have changed the spark plugs and wires recently. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this? I was going to try and change out the fuel filter but wasn't able to located it. There isn't any check engine light coming on and when accellerating, there isn't any problems until I drive a steady approx 38-48 mph. I havn't changed the timing belt yet, but I would think it would be much worse if the timing belt was slipping. What do you think!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Tankard

Mine was doing the same thing right before i fixed the main relay. The main relay supplies power to the fuel pump. It would not crank for a while after it had been running. If you search for main relay, you can read the symptoms of it going bad and how to fix it. Do you ever have the hard to start symptoms after driving it? Mine only did it a few times, and it was the main relay. I took it out, and resoldered all of the solder points. It fixed my ocassional no starting problem when the motor was warm, and my ocassional spitting and sputtering, or as you described it, slight hesitation. You may want to change your fuel filter also, if you have not done that in a while. And also, change your timing belt and water pump asap if you've never done that in 130k miles.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM
shady visions

Main relay problems....
Would that cause the car not to start up? My car doesn't seem to have any power at all when I try to start it up, even though I test my battery and it's full-charge.

My timing belt and water-pump are brand new, don't even have 20 miles on them yet.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
shorty_boy

Default no power at all?

yeah no power at all my be due to either your ignition switch or your clutch switches. check em out
Old 07-28-2005, 01:24 AM
shady visions

Assuming the clutch switch is what tells whether or not the clutch is pushed in to start it up, I believe the guy I bought the car from wired it/changed it so that the clutch didn't have to be pushed in on start-up (I have no idea why?) Anyways, how would I fix that or check the switch? Where's the ignition switch, too?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM
sirdave4

Default reply

Probably for a remote starter...
Old 07-28-2005, 04:38 AM
sirdave4

back to the origianal problem...

No I don't have any problem starting the car. Could it be a possible problem with the fuel pump regulator. What would be some symtoms of that? Does anyone know where the fuel filter and FPR is on the CRX and are they easy to change out?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by sirdave4
back to the origianal problem...

No I don't have any problem starting the car. Could it be a possible problem with the fuel pump regulator. What would be some symtoms of that? Does anyone know where the fuel filter and FPR is on the CRX and are they easy to change out?

On my 91 crx si, the fuel filter is located on the firewall in the engine comartment on the passenger side. It was easy to change. Can't help you out on the FPR. I've never had a problem with that. It would'nt hurt to resolder all of the solder points on your main relay. I remeber mine hesitated before it started having the hard to start problems when warm. It will eventually need it anyway, if it's not your problem now. It's kind of a PITA to get out and back in, but it was worth it for me. I even changed my fuel pump itself, thinking it was that. It ended up being the main relay. Oh well. At least i've got a new fuel pump, even though i did'nt need it.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
shorty_boy

Default poor little hf

yeah most of the stuff on my car is factory and it is just now starting to give me problems. when i changed my fuel filter, there was a significant difference in perfomance (what ever that means comming from an hf). Maybe the inlet screw on your filter is not aligned right as there is a whole in the screw that allows fuel to pass. if it is not correctly aligned with the inlet outlet hose then that might be your problem. then again if could be your egr valve (as mine was bad for a while, about a year, before it would throw code). i just recently blocked off my egr and betsie feels more like rex now