Notices

Which filter for JDM b16a?

Old 07-23-2005, 06:12 AM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which filter for JDM b16a?

I'm switching to Mobil 1 in my CRX/JDM b16a. Does anyone know the part # for the Mobil 1 filter?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:31 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

just get one for a Del Sol with the B16.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:39 AM
VTEC-Power

Don't buy a mobil 1 oil filter, it is a complete waste of $12, just stick with fram
Old 07-23-2005, 06:33 PM
DiAbLo3785
Working on project CRX Si

Fram is garbage. NEVER EVER EVER EVER get it. its nothing but one of the biggest pieces of crap ever invented
btw, ive heard STP filters are pretty good.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:37 PM
ED9man
driver

Do you have the factory airbox?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:39 PM
VTEC-Power

No fram makes crappy air filters not oil filters
Old 07-24-2005, 03:35 AM
xpman

Thanks guys,

The del sol filter fit. Actually, I looked it up in the parts catalog at the store and it looks like Honda used the same oil filter for all of the b-series Hondas and Acuras.

I ended up with a Fram. I heard that even though the Mobil 1 has better filtering capabilites, the Fram has better flow. It gets changed every 3000 miles so I'm sure it will last at least that long!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 AM
xpman

Here's something I thought you guys might like to chew on. It was from a JDM forum posting elsewhere on the web:

Use the OEM Honda 15400-PCX-004 - its actually for the S2000 but it works just as well (probably better) as the 15400-PLM-A02.

If you look at the Fram listings, they say that all CRX filters are the same no matter which country you are in: England, Japan, USA, Canada, Russia whatever.

They also show the S2K filter as the same as the CRX ones.

That made me wonder, what is the difference between these filters? Why does Honda call for a PCX in one and the PLM in the other?

Well, Honda recently adopted a more universal, smaller filter called the PLM. Its designed for the smaller, tighter confines of some of the new, tighter engine bays for this generation of Honda automobile.

PLM replaced the larger PT7, which was a replacement for the PR3 (Honda's original oil filter for the CRX)

Taking all 3 filters: PT7, PLM, and PCX and doing a comparison, I noticed a few things right off the bat.

PLM and PT7 are both made by Honeywell North America, the same people who make Fram filters... By the way, we cut some OEM and Fram filters open for comparison, and the Honda ones are made differently than regular orange Fram ones!

PCX is made by Toyo Roki in Japan. PCX and PT7 are roughly the same size, but the PCX weighs a few ounces more, probably due to more paper media inside. This would mean better filtration (I am assuming with the same amount (or better) of oil flow considering the PCX is designed for use in the S2K, a car meant to be DRIVEN).

This brought another question to mind. If the PCX is made in Japan, and is supposedly a better filter all around, why would Honda Canada and American Honda not use it instead? Money.

The PCX and PLM retail for the same amount now. That was not always the case. A couple short years ago Honda Canada was selling the PCX filter at approx $35 Canadian retail! Honda was trying to recoup some expenses of having to ship over all these PCX filters from Japan. They don't want us using the PCX filter because their profit margin has decreased now that they have made PCX and PLM the same price.

So they reserve the better of the Honda filters for the S2K only and leave us lowly Civic/CRX/Integra and Prelude drivers to suffer with smaller, less effective PLM filters. Maybe its because they don't want to bring in warranty engines for the S2Ks.

But if its good enough for an S2K and will work on my SiR, and its made by Toyo Roki in Japan, then I will use it (and I am)!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

That bit of info left out the Insight filter, I don't remember the part code offhand... it's the size of a soda can chopped in half.

FWIW, I see Honda PLM filters marked from Fram, Honeywell, and Filtech. They're each wrapped differently... odd.

I use the S2k PCX filter on my RX-7 and Stealth. They're good filters that will suit your B16A well.