Notices

91 Civic, locks shifter when in park..Help

Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
heystack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Civic, locks shifter when in park..Help

My son has a 91 civic. The other day he came home and parked as usual. When he went to leave, his auto trans shifter wouldnt come out of park and into other gears. Their is a shift key lock, and we can depress it and it comes out of park and runs through all gears with no problem. He can drive it fine up until he puts it back into park again. and then the shifter locks and will not move unless we put a key in the shift lock key slot and depress it so we can start the vehicle in neutral.. anyone with any thoughts on how to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:19 PM
foot

See if he has working brake lights. If not it is possible the brake switch is faulty or disconected some how. If he has brake lights check for power to the shift lock solenoid. If there is power and proper ground, replace the solenoid.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:26 PM
VTEC-Power

yea check the brakes
Old 07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
heystack

Default will check those

Thanks.. when he gets home we'll check that out...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
heystack

We find he has no brake lights... presently trying to find the right fuse to verify if thats a problem
Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 PM
foot

If the fuse is good I would supect the brake switch or its connections. The brake switch is in series with the shift lock solenoid. The solenoid only energizes when you push on the brake and cause the switch to close.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:24 PM
heystack

Default Got it fixed..Heres the cure Thank You all

Problem fixed.. I pulled the fuse panel off under the dash and didnt see where the brake fuse should (would) go. After checking the fuses, I found (just by chance) that the horn wasnt working and their wasnt a fuse for the horn located under the dash. Off under the hood I went and on the passenger side is another fuse panel. I opened it up and there was a 20Amp fuse labeled horn and stop.. I pulled it and lo and behold the fuse was open. After placing another fuse in, the horn worked, and when I started the car it went right out of park like it normally should. Thanks to all for the advice
Old 07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
SubaruGuy

You're lucky.. I'm having this problem on a 91 Accord SW.. and that fuse is good and the horn works..