Notices

Good Buy?

Old 07-16-2005, 06:11 PM
honda150racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Buy?

Hi, i am looking into buying my first CRX, and was looking at this as a project car. Can anyone tell me if this is a good buy, and the pros and cons of this car. Any help would be appreciated very much.
CRX
Old 07-16-2005, 07:11 PM
VTEC-Power

I prefer 88-91, but 87 is just as cool, looks pretty clean. Miles aren't bad for a 87 either
Old 07-16-2005, 07:42 PM
honda150racer

Yeh, thats what i was thinking about the milege. It seems like almost all of these have a ton of miles. Im planning on calling tomorrow to ask him about it
Old 07-16-2005, 08:02 PM
VTEC-Power

check the VIN on carfax, make sure there is no odometer fraud
Old 07-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I dunno bro... Seems a bit high for an 87... Even as clean as it looks... You can get a nice second gen CRX for that much... And wont have the potential pitfalls youd have if u want to swap out the engine... The first gens are a little bit harder to perform a swap on because of the mounts, I think only one place sells them for a B series, which is HAsport, and they arent cheap... Where as many places sell second gen B series mounts for a decent price... Plus if thats carbed (all except Si of that year was, which I dont think that one is, I think the CRX on the rear garnish was red on the Sis and they had different wheels), which is a pain to swap over to FI... And youd also have a pain finding parts for it in general... From replacement parts, to performance, to exterior parts... But parts for a 2nd gen are still readily available... Id probably get it tho, if it was about $1000 cheaper...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Fire
wanna run

that is high for that model. the mileage isnt bad...thats low for the age...hondas are ok on high mileage anyway. go look for the 89-91 though. much easier for parts when considering upgrades.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 PM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Originally Posted by firefastsi
look for the 89-91 though. much easier for parts when considering upgrades.
For the simple fact that the 88-91's have more aftermarket support and parts are more easliy avail,i would look for one of them. If you like a challenge and want a car with limited support go for the 87 Crx. The 88-91's just are more popular and have more support for them.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM
sonicrex
Dub L

Originally Posted by honda150racer
Hi, i am looking into buying my first CRX, and was looking at this as a project car. Can anyone tell me if this is a good buy, and the pros and cons of this car. Any help would be appreciated very much.
CRX
In general, the majority of people modify 88-91 CRXs due to availability of parts and easier swaps.

1st gen CRXs are lighter and wicked fast with an engine swap-an excellent sleeper. The suspension is different from the 2nd gen CRXs however, with will make suspension conversions harder. Also, the model you linked to is a non-SI version which I believe comes with a solid axle in the rear. Wiring is going to be DPFI(hello, carburetors!) instead of MPFI.

Things to look out for:This car "looks" clean from the picture, and has low miles for a Honda, so those are pluses. Depending on what area you're from I would HIGHLY recommend looking under the car/wheel wells for any signs of rust. The price is a bit high for what it is, and considering it's not the top CRX model-even if it is in good shape.

Ultimately, it's up to you. The 1st gen CRX will cost you more money and effort in the end, so it depends on what you're planning for this car.

Have fun!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
honda150racer

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Im gonna go take a look at it and see if i can talk the guy down a bit, but im thinking about waiting till i find an 88 or newer. If i planned on swapping engines, what would be an easy fit, and a good choice?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM
305ben

how much are you looking to spend? i have an 88 crx with a b18 gsr motor swap i am trying to sell.