Notices

For The Love Of God Help My Brakes

Old 07-09-2005, 09:10 PM
revolnin19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For The Love Of God Help My Brakes

I am new to back brakes and am looking to change my shoes on my 91 civic hatchback, How would I remove the drum so i can expose all the springs and the shoes. AndI dont want a lame answer referring to a manual. I just need to know how to get it off.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
ChrisS

-Release the emergency/parking brake
-Get a couple of bolts (I not sure what size, M10 x 25mm long?)
-Thread in to the two holes between the lugs
-Use a socket wrench to tighten them gradually which will gently force the drum off the axle
Old 07-09-2005, 10:00 PM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

what i did is i have a pretty big rubber mallet and just hit it of use a fat screw driver to help get it started. Then when you have it off you will just need a needle nose plier and regular pliers. First use the needle nose to take the springs off. then there is a cup looking thing that hold the shoes on. then push it in a twsit the pin and it will come off. Then you need to get off the clip and maybe the pin dont remember but just look at your new ones if it has it neermind if it doesnt have the pin wack it out and put back together the emergeny brake pad with the pin and c clip. Now use the cups and spring and pin that held it to the dust cover. Then when its reactached to the dust cover attach the springs. Oh there is an ajuster that needs to be screwed in all the way so its really short. Make sure that you have both tires off so that you can see how it goes back together.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:14 AM
foot

A deadblow hammer is the absolute best way to remove a stuck drum. Whack that sucker on the face near the edge. Might take a couple hits. Whack it HARD. Don't use a metal head hammer, though. Cracked or broken drums need to be replaced.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
pUrExTc
殺生丸

wHAM WHAM WHAM!

it took me a good solid 3 whacks!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I always use the two threaded holes to remove them, as Honda originally intended. I have never found a drum too stuck to remove this way.

Brake parts don't take too kindly to hammers. The slightest bend can cause issues (though cast metal usually cracks or shatters before it bends.)