Notices

Is a k-series motor a smart engine swap for a crx?

Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 PM
UltimX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone says no, but why? I think it is a great motor.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:58 AM
shady visions

Originally Posted by Pete
if you want a K-Series motor, buy an RSX or new Si. If you're going to have a brand new motor, you might as well have the rest of the car to go with it.

That's why.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:20 AM
UltimX

Haha, is that it? You could say the same thing with the B series swap but the same things apply. I'm looking for a better explenation then just get a new car.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Fire
wanna run

one very easy way to explain this would be that the price to power difference and the pain in the ass to do the job to the power difference simply is not worth it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM
UltimX

true. but i'm sure there are ways to cut the cost down. You don't need to use the k20a specificly. you can use others. Plus, other people spend money on b18c swaps with the same amount of money. So, are there any other reasons as to why?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 PM
qtiger

It's not just the cost of the engine, the cost of the swap is a factor too. The B series swap will be cheaper and easier.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:51 PM
shady visions

Originally Posted by UltimX
Haha, is that it? You could say the same thing with the B series swap but the same things apply. I'm looking for a better explenation then just get a new car.
If you put a b16a in a CRX/EF, you're not putting a brand new engine in a car, and you're getting decent bang for your buck. LS/VTEC, and regular LS swaps if done right, could be a little more effecient than a B16a, yeah, but when you're going to pay 5,000$ for the K-engine alone, why even BOTHER? Use that money on another car. I know it's a Honda/Acura passion, but most people look at the cost-analysis.
If you put a type r motor in a CRX/EF, you might as well have saved up for a Type R.

I researched the K Series engines before i even started looking at this board or thinking about putting a B series engine. I was dead set on it, had money saved up and everything, then I started reading about people having problems, too much conversion, not being able to find knowledgeable people for the swaps, etc. The swap seems to be more of a hassle than actually buying an engine.

In my opinion, though I haven't swapped a B in my CRX yet, I think it would be a lot easier, effecient, and cost-friendly in my case, and probably most peoples' cases as well.

PS. In the future I plan on getting rid of one of my cars for a RSX-S or Ford Focus SVT.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:56 PM
UltimX

Aside from these reasons, i was looking for more of a technical reason like r/s factor. K20a head out flows the b16 by a lot. I wasn't concerned about the cost or difficulty factor because thos can always be delt with. Besides, the b series type r engine is about 5k, another 11k and then you got yourself a type r. To each his own. If you don't want
Old 07-27-2005, 06:16 PM
DiAbLo3785
Working on project CRX Si

Originally Posted by sherwood
rather because they ARE the new b-series
totally true. if u really got the desire for power then go with a k20 head and k24 block. its the new "ls/vtec" thing to do. heard its rated at about 300 hp
be warned though, itll run you beaucoup money for putting it the crx
Old 07-27-2005, 07:00 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by UltimX
Aside from these reasons, i was looking for more of a technical reason like r/s factor. K20a head out flows the b16 by a lot. I wasn't concerned about the cost or difficulty factor because thos can always be delt with. Besides, the b series type r engine is about 5k, another 11k and then you got yourself a type r. To each his own. If you don't want
For the price of installing a K series engine in your car you could build a B series to fly you to the moon. The ONLY reasons to put a K series in your car are to be "super cool" or because you will be building the engine to the absolute bleeding edge for drag purposes.