Notices

help

Old 06-22-2005, 10:38 PM
efhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Hmmm..... my car won't start.... Won't crank or anything, the only sound is like a faint humming that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car. any ideas?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM
NSXguy2

humming noise is probably the fuel tank pump. It should do it whenever you put the key in and contact. is the battery ok ?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
VTEC-Power

starter? battery?
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by 4Banger69
starter? battery?

That would be my guess... Theres a small wire on the starter, check that to make sure its still on there... Mine came loose after I swapped my engine and it wouldnt crank or anything... It might have come loose... The wires connector is like the one found on your standard speaker wire, its flat and just kinda slids onto the starter...
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM
efhatch

The battery is good just had it checked the other day when I changed out the alternator. I was leaning towards the fuel pump idea too, yeah it makes that humming noise only when the key is in contact but not really sure on how to determine if the fuel pump is faulty. I will check the starter to see if that wire is still there. Thanks for the help....
Old 06-23-2005, 08:28 PM
foot

Yes. start at the starter solenoid wire and trace back to the battery checking for voltage along the way. You'll find it sooner or later. Don't forget to check your grounds. Especially the engine ground.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:28 AM
CroCivic90DX

Originally Posted by efhatch
Hmmm..... my car won't start.... Won't crank or anything, the only sound is like a faint humming that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car. any ideas?
Does the humming sound go away after a few seconds when you put the key to position "II"? Main relay is known to be faulty on these cars, and it gives power to the fuel pump when you want to start the car. Could a faulty main relay give constant power to the fuel pump? If you hear a constant humming sound from the pump, try to check your main relay - http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/elec...main-relay.htm
Old 06-24-2005, 04:04 AM
Tankard

Originally Posted by efhatch
The battery is good just had it checked the other day when I changed out the alternator. I was leaning towards the fuel pump idea too, yeah it makes that humming noise only when the key is in contact but not really sure on how to determine if the fuel pump is faulty. I will check the starter to see if that wire is still there. Thanks for the help....

Well. It's not to hard to figure if it's the starter or the fuel pump. If it's the starter, then the car would not turn over. If it's the fuel pump, it would turn over but not crank.