Notices

Car Starting troubles

Old 06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
jdlhonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Starting troubles

The other day our 91 Civic HB Std. Just quit and would not restart. After replacing the plugs and wires to help get a better spark as it was weak/to none at all. I pulled the distributor and cap, markin it for timing purposes before removal. I took that cap off and the spinning part and the 4 points looked a burnt. I didn't have access to a new one at the time and it was getting late, so I said what the heck lets try it after I put it back and we've checked to make sure timing belt didn't break, etc. I roughly started so I talked with my dad and he said play with timing I would go back and forth a bit and we got it to start. Had to do this 3 times on our hour 1/2 journey home. Anybody got any idea's. I'm going to replace the distributor cap assembly at the moment and see what happens.

Let me know what you think. I think I'm gonna need a helms manual to test everything after this the chilton ain't gonna cut it.

Jason
Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Rolodoggx

check the set screw on the rotor is in place. also you may want to change the igniter, this is a common part to go out from use over the years. i had this happen to me on my civic dx 4dr and sounds like the same thing has happened in your case. im pretty sure this will fix your problem. adjusting the timing has nothing to do with this so adjust the distributor back to the original spot. good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:40 AM
jdlhonda

Yep the timing deal was the funny part you could get it start somewhere else but, it always ran right near the marks I put on it.

Yep, i've been looking at the affordable parts of the distributor being the ingniter and the cap assembly.

Anybody else got some idea. I was under the impression from my dad that hooking the car up to a computer was going to be the test to find out how the distributor was working.

Jason
Old 06-23-2005, 08:32 PM
foot

There will be resistance specs for the coil. That is a common part to fail. If the spark is weak that is commonly caused by a short in the coil. If the coil shorts somewhere in the winding it wont produce total voltage resulting in a weak spark. Funny, the cap and rotor seem to be more durable than the coils in hondas.