Notices

engine reaplacement for dummies?...

Old 06-21-2005, 09:28 PM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine reaplacement for dummies?...

91 honda civic hatch dx 1.5
my engine is old, 173,000 miles, now and burns oil bad (quart every 2-3 wks).
My emmissions is up in december I klnow it smokes too often to pass so i'll need to get the engine swapped by then or I'll have to sell my baby =( Anyway I know little about cars mechanically and can't do this job myself and don't know anyone willing to help me with this that I trust. I need to know if this sounds reasonable:
A guy at an all Japanese engine shop in my area told me they sell Japan imported engines with around 50,000 miles on them 12,000mi/1 yr warranty for around $650 and installation would be around $550 also how can I trust that the engine has only that many miles on it and is there a better way thats cheap since i don't know what i'm doing at all? Most people I talk to think I ought to just get another car instead doing the engine I don't want to though. Please help!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 PM
VTEC-Power

Sounds about right for a SOHC
Old 06-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Fire
wanna run

well, you cant prove mileage. you can pull the oil pan and inspect the bearings, thats about the best fast clue. its easy to lie about this shit, but since it is being purchased and installed by a shop, you should ask them about warranty policy. if they dont offer, you can always go elsewhere.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Sounds good to me... But MAKE SURE THEY TELL YOU WHICH ENGINE FOR THAT PRICE! There are many JDM engines, that are actually slower than your stock engine... The carbed D15B for instance... If its a D15B, make sure it has VTEC! If not, you dont want it! The VTEC D15B is a very good engine, and in my CRX Si, replacing the old D16A6, the VTEC is a nice improvement!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:08 PM
redcivicforever

Thanks guys for the info But like saying I know very little about cars. So what are the engine types I should get if please give me a list of types and if its some other type then I would turn it down. Also is there anyway I can be sure he tells me the right engine type or do they tend to lie about this too? And as far as warranty is concerned what should be covered on a used engine warranty (within reason) so if he tells me what the warranty covers I know if he's screwing me? I know so little I need to make sure. Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you can ask them to do a leakdown test and put up the results here so we can look at it...sohc d series engines are a dime a dozen and i'm sure they have several just in inventory they can pull out and do a test and hold it for you to determine its in good shape

what did they suggest to do with your old engine? if they are going to keep it ask that they pay $50 for it as they are getting something for free (these aren't that hard at all to rebuild and with just blown rings and no severe scarring of the piston walls it's pretty cheap to rebuild and resell)
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Ok, to try and simplify things for you (hope I dont confuse you more, its really not as confusing as it sounds), theres a few things you should know about US engines vs their JDM counterparts...

JDM, stands for Japanese Domestic Market, this means the engine has been imported from Japan, and is not available here... The downside is that since its not from a car found here, you cant simply go upto Auto-Zone and say "yea I need a whatever part for a 88 CRX DX", you have to find out which part to ask for... This isnt really that big of a deal, and MOST parts are interchangeable between D series engines, be they JDM or USDM...

USDM, stands for United States Domestic Market, this means the engine comes from a car that is found here in the states... So its much easier to get parts... You simply find out which car the engine came from (lets say a 92-95 Civic Si, which has a engine code of D16Z6) and goto Auto-Zone and ask for say a timing belt for a 92 Civic Si...

Since you probably wont be working on your car anyways, it really dosnt matter... This is mainly for a do-it-yourselfer that has to be conserned with this... But its good to know, incase your technician might not...

As for engines (for his quoted price) heres a list of good engines in that price range:

JDM engines:
DOHC ZC
D15B with VTEC (there is a VTEC-E model, make sure its not VTEC-E, and is VTEC the power implimentation)
SOHC ZC with VTEC

USDM:
D16Z6 (comes from a US spec 92-95 Civic Si or EX)
D16Y8 (comes from a US spec 96-00 Civic EX)

As for a warranty, usually they warranty the internals only, such as piston rings, bearings, ect... Stuff inside the engine... They usually dont warranty the sensors, or external parts, distributor, starter, ect...