Notices

Idles rough & erradicly & other problems...

Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM
redcivicforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idles rough & erradicly & other problems...

91' civic hatch dx 1.5, 5-speed manual
I know very little about cars. I've had this car for 5 yrs now its got 173,000 miles and burns about a quart of oil every 2-3 wks. It smokes fairly often now and soon i'm looking to get a engine swap. I'm sure it won't pass emissions next time. Anyway the car always ran very smooth but since my uncle replaced my clutch about 3 wks ago (he's worked on cars for over 30+ yrs so I trust he knows what he's doing) it immediatley began idling way too high/fast, really revving itself up, sometimes like I was pumping that gas with it in neutral, the high idle was nonstop though. So my uncle looked at the job to make sure he didn't see anything wrong or that got knocked off or left undone from the clutch job. He saw nothing wrong so he adjusted the idle with a screw driver, it stopped revving but now idles too low & erradically-sometimes it almost runs normally (rarely) but most times feels like its idling too low and is gonna stall (especially whe stopped) but doesn't but it vibrates like crazy most of the time the whole car just shakes until you get dizzy. Now my uncle thinks it might be coincidence and that maybe its carbon buildup from the excessive oil burning finally taking its toll and this is the result of that whole problem. I don't know...what do you think it could be PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
mullinator

Your best bet would be to invest in one or more shop manuals and look up your symptom in their troubleshooting checklists. Chiltons and Haynes are good beginner manuals and can be bought at any auto parts store. The factory service manual is the best, but it's written for more experienced wrenchers. It can be found on eBay or at www.helminc.com. -scott
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Tankard

He possibly pulled a vacum line undone. Double check all of the vacum lines to be sure they are all connected.