Notices

B16a Tuning / Timing Problems

Old 06-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Tboe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16a Tuning / Timing Problems

Whats up people... Hope you guys *and gals* can help me out here:

I have a b16a in my 89 Civic and am having problems with getting it running right. It is far from stock...

I recently blew the head and just swapped in a new head that has a stage 1 P&P and all Ferrea valve train. It is sitting on a stock block with a Spoon head gasket... I have stock cams with adjustable gears, AEBS intake manny, Toda TB, and all MSD standalone ignition.

Sounds nice right? Heres my problem... I cannot get it to run stable. The closest ive gotten is by advancing the timing 10 degrees intake & exhaust, and still it is nowhere near stock timing the mark on the pulley. At best it is a little short of the TDC mark.

What am I doing wrong here? I haven't worked on a honda motor in a couple years and have gotton somewhat Chevy 350 brainwashed... so it is tough getting back into the swing of things. It used to run so strong, and now it barely idles. Any help is greatly appreciated...

-Terry
Old 06-18-2005, 04:00 PM
VTEC-Power

Well unfortunately the more you do to your car, the more problems you will have. That is something you have to face with, while dealing with mods
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Tboe

"Well unfortunately the more you do to your car, the more problems you will have. That is something you have to face with, while dealing with mods"

Thanks for stating the obvious... with the mods Ive already done and listed it should be clear that Im not a beginner, but I appreciate the 'help'.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:46 AM
VTEC-Power

Im just stating things wont ever be the same like stock timing
Old 06-19-2005, 06:11 PM
ED9man
driver

Might have nothing to do with the timing.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Tboe

Turns out I was off a tooth on the belt. Easy to do, easy to fix, but I just wasnt paying attention to the big hints it was giving me. Thanks for your help though guys...