Notices

gear noise

Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear noise

have alot of noticble noise when im in first like tranny noise and sounds like my axles are poping, and when im on the freeway you can smell the clutch pretty well, my girlfriend every time we get on the freeway makes it aprent to me. So what do i need to do to fix my problems. I can also get pics if you need um.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 AM
MattCook

You didn't give any info on what car you have, how many miles, etc., but I have one possibility. The early CRX Si's (possibly others as well) threw transmission main bearings around 180,000 to 220,000 miles. The way you could tell was noise in the transmission, and clutch slippage as the bearing seal gets torn up and oil gets on the clutch. I don't know about the axles popping.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:01 AM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

90 civic si hatch, 123,000 miles
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 PM
ChrisS

axles popping: look at the CV joint boots on each axle (one at transaxle, one at wheel)
usually, the boot wears out or gets ripped, all the grease gets flung out of the CV joint, then you get popping when making turns.

clutch slipping: check the clutch cable adjustment; there should be about 1/8" of free play when the clutch is fully engaged. If there's no free play loosen the adjustment bolt until there is about 1/8" of free play. (otherwise, it's like driving around with your foot partially on the clutch pedal all the time)

It could be time to replace the clutch (clutch, pressure plate, resurface the flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing).

I think the main transmission bearings that MattCook is refering to are the differential main bearings. (they're located where the axles go into the transmission) The only way to get oil from the transmission on to the clutch is through the input shaft seal; but, that is very unlikely because the oil in the transmission is not under pressure and the transmission oil level is always below that shaft seal.