Notices

OK need info.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK need info.

OK guys I've got my DX running great now I need to get some info. First off, this is a D15B2 engine. When driving it puffs out a little smoke when it gets above 4K RPMS, then stops when I shift. Could this be because the engine hasn't run it over a year? I have a DC header and CAI. on the car.
NExt, what can I do without actually changing out the engine to get more power. I'm looking for a 15 sec car here, I know this block will never see anything better.
1. First thing should be a MPFI swap correct?
2. What are some nice looking stock wheels that I can swap and get rid of these heavy ass 18's?
3. What more can I do to get some H.P. out of this block?
4. What about performance chips? Where is the best place to get one? Is it worth it?

I'm looking for anything. I really love this car, and want to get it running nice. Nothing fancy yet, for I don't know much about them. I'm good around the shop and can easily change a head and such. I just need info and to learn more about these engines. From what I've read so far there are lots of them, lol. Basicly what I need to know is what all is compatable with my year?

P.S. sorry for the long post.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:48 PM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

One more question. Will any v-tech heads fit on my engine? I'm thinking not, but I thought I would ask.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

1. Definately a MPFI swap first, talk to ED9Man, he had some stuff for sale a while back, may still have it...

2. Nice looking stock wheels are the Integra LS meshies or GSR blades... Love the looks of both...

4.(3 and 5 are linked so Ill answer them together) Performance chips are a no go... The problem is there is no way they can tune one chip to work for all cars... So the power boost, if any is limited...

3 & 5. The block isnt really the problem, its more the head and throttle body... So changing to a VTEC head (yes its possible) will definatly help you out! Ofcourse youll only have 1.5 compared to the 1.6 of the D16Z6/D16Y8 (one of the engines your gonna have to take the head from to do this) but the VTEC will help alot...
Old 05-26-2005, 07:28 PM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

Thanks for the help. I reading some old posts and they are kinda helping, none of them really get to a point.
What cars should I look for to find the heads I need to do the swap? I know the engine code is Z6/Y8 but what year cars and models?
So could a mini me swap and MPFI get me closer to the 15's?
What about wiring on the mini me swap?
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

The D16Z6 is from a 92-95 Civic EX/Si or 94-97 Del Sol Si.
The D16Y8 is from a 96-00 Civic EX.

Yea it can definately put u closer to your goal... Stock the D16Z6 runs mid 15s in an EF, so the mini me should be less than that, so say mid to low 16s...

As for wiring, remember that if u go mini me, Id reccomend u convert from preOBD to OBD1 and run a P28... This will activate VTEC for u, and has the fuel maps for VTEC... Some people opt for the cheaper, easier way, and run preOBD and an RPM switch to activate VTEC... This may work... But its not nearly as efficient... The downside to wiring OBD1 is that theres alot of work in rewiring... I opted to get a preOBD to OBD1 conversion harness for my D15B VTEC swap into my CRX so I wouldnt have to deal with it...
Old 05-27-2005, 05:59 AM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

Did you make the wiring harness yourself or get it from somewhere? Also what is the obd and obd-1? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:05 AM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Originally Posted by OneslowredHB
Did you make the wiring harness yourself or get it from somewhere? Also what is the obd and obd-1? Thanks for the help.

Yea you can buy harnesses,i beileve HaSport has them
OBD is On Board Diagnostic,has to do with the ECU,Dist. etc.....i dunno how else to explain it. I know that you can't just hook up an OBD2 motor to an OBD0 car w/out harnesses.
OBD0 - 88-91
OBD1 - 92-95
OBD2 - 96-present?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by OneslowredHB
The very best advice I can give u, that will save u tons of work, and then potential problems when u do this swap is BUY THIS:

http://www.rywire.com/dxtodvtec.shtml

Or atleast wire up the MPFI, get a Si harness, and buy this:

http://www.rywire.com/sitodvtec.shtml

And one more thing to consider, when doing an MPFI, if your swapping, u can wire it all up, and u dont need to add the injector resistor box if your swapping in an OBD1 car and going OBD1... Im not sure exactly how that works out, ive never done DPFI to MPFI swap... But I have heard that u can use OBD1 injectors with a PM6 (CRX Si) ECU if u bypass the injector resistor box... And when u convert to OBD1 this is one less thing u have to worry about...
Old 05-27-2005, 03:05 PM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

Thanks a ton for the help and the links.

So my best bet would be to do the MPFI and Vtech head swap all at the same time, and use the wiring harnesses you provided in the link, correct? Thanks for all the help guys. Also the actuall z6 head will bolt straight on to my block correct?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:52 PM
OneslowredHB
18 sec beast!

More questions, lol.
1. Would it just be better for me to save my money and do a complete motor swap?
2. Where online are good spots to order a Blacktop ZC?
3. What is the H.P. rating on the ZC?
4. How much do they usually run?
5. What about wiring and tranny?
6. I found a b16a complete swap for 1500 would that work in my DX? Its on the hmotorsonline.com site.
7. How much more benifical is it than the ZC?

Thanks.