Notices

rear mount turbo

Old 05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's no really a good idea. I'm just thinking of running the oil lines and maybe coolant lines all the way back there, the filter in that picture is completely exposed to water splashing up from the road, lots of other issues.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by PaidCheapCRX
I have one of those on my LT 1 Camaro made 557 HP, 100 over my Heads and Cam package....... i like it, has some lag but not much after 2500 RPM good boost.

not much lag, on an LT1 V8....

CRX and Pre '92 Civic forum...

yeah...

it would be a good idea if the filter was enclosed in something to prevent mud, the turbo was enclosed in something to prevent cracking from sudden low temperature water hitting it, if there was less piping and volume to have to pressurize before hitting boost, if there wasnt long ass coolant/oil lines which would increase probability of something breaking, and if it was front mounted.

How does the intercooler fit into that picture? It says its not needed because the piping is cooled so much from point A to B... pretty stupid seeing as how the whole point of a turbo is to pressurize air, thus increasing heat. I don't see how pipes directly connected to the exhaust manifold and turbo are going to reduce temps by all that much, even if it is that far to travel.

Oh, also in that picture is it muffled before it hits turbo, or is there no muffler at all?
Old 05-22-2005, 06:44 PM
ED9man
driver

Maybe the turbo is the muffler.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I think the turbo is the "muffler". In that case, the backpressure caused by the turbo won't even exist like it does when it is mounted in the exhaust manifold. Still, the laggy plumbing and exposed filter will not take advantage of the power that frees up.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:50 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

what if you hit a bump? oil lines, etc...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 AM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

just woundering, would make it easyer to do a bigger turbo, plus in a 90 civic hb there is more room to stuff it higher up in there to hide it. Thought it would be cool, and maybe cheaper to make. not really worried about oil/coolent lines cuz i have done stuff like this, i have a class 5/1600 baja bug thats 100% custom. So just woundering the pros and cons of this mainly on performence. Dont want any road stuff like water and mud and hitting lines cuz i will address those issues if i deside to go the route of a rear mounte turbo, im just woundering if you stuck two 100% identicle cars on a dyno but on has a turbo of the exhaust manifold on one rear mounted both run with out a inter cooler.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
How does the intercooler fit into that picture? It says its not needed because the piping is cooled so much from point A to B... pretty stupid seeing as how the whole point of a turbo is to pressurize air, thus increasing heat. I don't see how pipes directly connected to the exhaust manifold and turbo are going to reduce temps by all that much, even if it is that far to travel.
The intake tube is separate from the exhaust, and those little pipes actually don't hold heat very well. Add to that the high airflow under the car and it does give a decent intercooling effect.
Originally Posted by spazz0nater
just woundering, would make it easyer to do a bigger turbo, plus in a 90 civic hb there is more room to stuff it higher up in there to hide it. (...) im just woundering if you stuck two 100% identicle cars on a dyno but on has a turbo of the exhaust manifold on one rear mounted both run with out a inter cooler.
Any turbo small enough for a D- or B-series to spool effectively will fit underhood without much trouble. Turbos are fun to show off, I don't know why you'd want to hide it.

When all is said and done, it won't be cheaper.

Two identical low-boost cars running the same size turbo, non-intercooled... the exhaust manifold mounted one will respond much better and be overall much safer on a street car.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:12 PM
spazz0nater
i wanna go fast

cool thanks for the help, just woundering, kinda shooting the sh*t with you guys, saw it thought i would ask it.

Thanks

Peace

Ben
Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

this is probably one of the dumbest turbo ideas on the market...all turbo's (those on cars that is) are oil cooled and lubricated...oil coming out of one is frothy and needs a path of lowest resistance to drain (that is why most are located right next to the engine oil pan and have a drain line that is as direct as possible (no 90 degree bends and a very short distance)

it's like they have ADD but like fast cars yo!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM
ED9man
driver

How about a turbo in your dash behind a piece of plexiglass? :chuckles: