Notices

Brakes fixed, pedal still like mush

Old 05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
ED9man
driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes fixed, pedal still like mush

Apparently my back brakes weren't functioning correctly because of the way some hardware was put back together. The tech said that the pedal mushiness might go away now because it is put back together correctly and the back hydraulic systems are linked to the front. Didn't help though, the car stops a little shorter and the e-brake works but the pedal still sucks. Possible fix? How would I know if there is air in the lines? Is there a certain bleed sequence because of the dual diagonal braking system? I did the furthest from the MC, next furthest, etc..
Old 05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
DirtyHarry

Default brake bleading pro

start with the driver front, then go to the passenger front, then to the driver rear, then to the passenger rear. If you have no help, just let the brakes do the gravity bleed. Open the bleeder valve and let it sit for a few minutes, move on to the next, and so forth. is any of your calipers leaking up front, check your rear drum brake cylinders for leakage. If the front is leaking, its your brake piston seal. if t leaking in back, its your brake cylinder.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Uhh, it's exactly the opposite... Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Longest line to shortest.

If you haven't bled the line, that's the automatic first step. Bleed them in that order until the fluid has no bubbles and is nearly clear.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Tankard

My Honda civic/crx Haynes manual says begin at the left front then proceed to the right rear, then the right front, and finally the left rear in that order. Being sure to check the fluid in the master cylinder frequently. I don't think it makes much of a difference, because i've never followed that order for bleeding mine, and my brakes work perfect. I never knew there was a particluar order that you are suppossed to do it in until i just read the manual after reading the above posts. The next time i do it, i'll know.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by Kai
Uhh, it's exactly the opposite... Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Longest line to shortest.

If you haven't bled the line, that's the automatic first step. Bleed them in that order until the fluid has no bubbles and is nearly clear.
yeah, they've been bled correctly then.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Tankard

Originally Posted by ED9man
yeah, they've been bled correctly then.

Not according to my Haynes manual if you did it RR, LR, RF, and then LF.