Notices

Turbo PSI

Old 05-15-2005, 10:06 AM
StreetRacingCRX
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I really thought of that but I have put so much work into my engine. I want my car to be fast be not run like crap. If I put in a B18C or a LS VTEC it wouldn't beat my car if it had a turbo installed. I am trying to be efficent with my money. But thanks a lot firefastsi you helped a lot
Old 05-15-2005, 10:51 AM
ED9man
driver

What time have you invested?
Bolting on a bunch of shit?

D's are worthless, if you want your car to be that fast it has to be B + FI.
Have you bought an LSD yet? One thing the WRX has that is going to DESTROY you is its launching capability. That thing is going to bite in with all FOUR tires whereas you are going to be using ONE. The D is not a performance motor, it is an economy engine designed to have peppy performance. You could at least do a mini-me swap. Also don't forget, engine management and tuning is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Not only do you run the risk of not getting the most effective gains, it is entirely possible to destroy your precious D with incorrect tuning. Tuning is very very important.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by ED9man
What time have you invested?
Bolting on a bunch of shit?

D's are worthless, if you want your car to be that fast it has to be B + FI.
Have you bought an LSD yet? One thing the WRX has that is going to DESTROY you is its launching capability. That thing is going to bite in with all FOUR tires whereas you are going to be using ONE. The D is not a performance motor, it is an economy engine designed to have peppy performance. You could at least do a mini-me swap. Also don't forget, engine management and tuning is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Not only do you run the risk of not getting the most effective gains, it is entirely possible to destroy your precious D with incorrect tuning. Tuning is very very important.
d series plus turbo is easier to tune and keep from grenading than a b series with a turbo (higher compression brings greater chance of detonation and detonation kills the engine)...but bad tuning will kill any motor no matter how strong it is built

the d is a good motor and can make a good amount of power...they are built for performance otherwise honda would have never made the zc versions...moral of this is the d series is a good motor and not worthless especially compared to a b series
Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 PM
ED9man
driver

True, but it still does not have the real performance intent of a B. Ever look at the blocks? The B has much stronger webbing. The head? The B has the perfect pentroof chambers. Both those traits are better for turbo. The D is a decent motor, but the B is a better motor.. All I am saying is that if this guy wants to take down Sti's, he's going to need a built B, not the tired D he has in there.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:19 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

you build a turbo d series and put it in a crx weighing 2000 lbs or less and you should be able to beat and sti or evo...you'll of course have all the usualy drawbacks of a fwd car but you'll be at half the weight and with a higher power/weight ratio
Old 05-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Fire
wanna run

STI=MONSTER

you would put more money than God has into a D to make it come close
Old 05-15-2005, 02:01 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

If you really have your sights set on killing an sti look at it this way.

* AWD and 4WD systems have much more parasitic/drivetrain power reduction due to the increased rotational mass, thus the only place that having AWD benefits in a straight line is the launch.

* I have seen 300+ D series, BUILT from inside out of course, but still , as I said earlier. If its worth doing...

* Your car is much lighter then the STi

As I said, it'll take money, but if you really want to , it is a very realistic outcome.

And about the D series being built by Honda as a performance motor...

That must be why all the R's and (most) of the Si's dont have em.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

If you really have your sights set on killing an sti look at it this way.

* AWD and 4WD systems have much more parasitic/drivetrain power reduction due to the increased rotational mass, thus the only place that having AWD benefits in a straight line is the launch.

* I have seen 300+ D series, BUILT from inside out of course, but still , as I said earlier. If its worth doing...

* Your car is much lighter then the STi

As I said, it'll take money, but if you really want to , it is a very realistic outcome.

And about the D series being built by Honda as a performance motor...
all i'm saying is that a d series can make power...the zc versions were the performance oriented...you can post all the smilies all you want but there is power to be made in some of the versions of a d series motor...and you can make a crx with a turbo'd well built d series motor that can keep up or beat a stock sti in a 1/4 mile

would i do so?...heck no but stop shitting on the fact that it is possible and stop shitting on the d series motor b/c that engine powered legions of hondas for the past 3 decades and helped make honda a stalwart of reliability and efficiency
Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

Well beating a STI would be nice but not a high priority. I spent a lot of money on this kit and it will be tuned and done right. But now after people loving the turbo and people hating it I dont know what I should do. Sell my turbo kit and do a mini me swap or just go for the turbo. I am looking for good power gains and turbo is usually the best way to go. I have been in many turbo cars such as a WRX and a STI and I know that they are fast as hell. I do not have a LSD yet but it will be installed once I have all the money to install everything. I have the fuel rail, regulator, injectors, pump all done. The motor is pretty solid.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best quotes I have taken from HAN over the years is this: "The most work anyone should ever do on a D series motor is taking it out." True, it's possible to bring a D series motor to the 300 hp level, but why would you want to? It would take so much time and money that starting out with a B series motor as a platform to begin with would have been an economical and more logical decision. In order to boost the D to that level you'd have to lower your compression, bulletproof your block and head with forged internals and most likely get a stand alone computer. My prognosis: B16 head, B20 block, boost, win... teh end.

Edit: And please boss, I need you to understand that the passion of racing shouldn't revolve around the obsession of beating a single type of car but rather the ability of an ordinary car to do extraordinary things. You just gotta be able to work and tune your car and enjoy the fruits of your labor because if you set your heart on unrealistic goals, it'll seem like everything you have done was all in vein.