Notices

Swap For My Crx!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 PM
mjay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap For My Crx!

Hey everyone Iam new to this site and pretty much new to the whole honda and import tuning world. I just recently purchased a honda crx and was looking to do a swap. I want it to be an all motor set up. I have been looking around and have found many different interesting setups. I orginially heard of the ls/vtec set up being good for the car but that it would be better to just buy a gsr or type r engine if im going to go with that i was only looking to spend around 5k for the entire swap. I also looked at the b20/vtec set up for the car as well, along with type r. If any one could give me advice on impressive set ups they have seen please share. I know 1/4 mile times usually depend on the driver but i want the set up to but me lower 14's high 13's from which i understand isnt hard to do with my car. Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

A GSR swap would be the best bang for the buck and offers the most flexability with aftermarket support.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:43 AM
mr.crx

the ls/vtec can usally be done for three grand as long as you do it your self. the gsr is a great motor for the crx but runs morew then the ls/vtec usally. i have seen crx's with the h22 and they are very fast but thats expensive and a pain in the ass. so yes the ls/vtec is a great motor all around.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:55 AM
gingas

Go with the GSR or Type R. I dont feel the LS/Vtec or Crv/ Vtec is as reliable. Thats IMO
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 PM
mjay

Originally Posted by mr.crx
the ls/vtec can usally be done for three grand as long as you do it your self. the gsr is a great motor for the crx but runs morew then the ls/vtec usally. i have seen crx's with the h22 and they are very fast but thats expensive and a pain in the ass. so yes the ls/vtec is a great motor all around.
How much do they usually cost???
Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
mjay

anyone seen any impressive numbers 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on all motor set ups?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

there's a guy on honda-tech under the name tbone. runs 11's NA in his street driven (so he says) crx with a fully built b series.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Fire
wanna run

Originally Posted by mjay
Hey everyone Iam new to this site and pretty much new to the whole honda and import tuning world. I just recently purchased a honda crx and was looking to do a swap. I want it to be an all motor set up. I have been looking around and have found many different interesting setups. I orginially heard of the ls/vtec set up being good for the car but that it would be better to just buy a gsr or type r engine if im going to go with that i was only looking to spend around 5k for the entire swap. I also looked at the b20/vtec set up for the car as well, along with type r. If any one could give me advice on impressive set ups they have seen please share. I know 1/4 mile times usually depend on the driver but i want the set up to but me lower 14's high 13's from which i understand isnt hard to do with my car. Thanks
are you wanting this vehicle for the track only? There are alot of options but what you need this car for and what you want it for varies your options.

B16a: cheaper and with bolt-ons can be pretty quick easy job
B16a1 (usdm): more expensive, harder job, pain in the ass wiring, not worth the price difference
B18c1: more expensive, same wiring difficulty as b16a1 (obd factor)
B18c5: fun but very expensive and same obd wiring included in the swap
H22a: very fast, obd wiring, very heavy motor dont expect to turn your vehicle lol

for 5 grand i would do a B16a or a b18c1

h22 requires a ton of work and I would only do this if you are using this car as a drag/track car

the b18c5 will be the same amount of work and difficulty as the b18c1 but with your price tag mentioned, i dont think so.

you have options with all these motors to make a fast car. you need to research as much as possible, and i mean ALOT. you will probably (assuming you havent done these swaps before) spend more time doing research than turning wrenches, as thats how it should be.

hints for the wise:

decide before you buy a motor if you want an LSD

USE GOOD MOTOR MOUNTS FOR GODS SAKE. (hasport being the king, expensive, but still king. will save heartache and money in long run)
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Fire
wanna run

ps forget the mini-me idea, you need to really know what you are doing
Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Fire
wanna run

hehe sorry i couldnt resist