Notices

Swap For My Crx!

Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
mjay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Advice on doing a b16 turbo set up? Price?? Pros/Cons?
I originally wanted to go all motor but i have been reading about some pretty impressive turbo set ups. Which series b16 would i purchase? I know i would probably need forged internals, lower compression pistons, and different cams...thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Fire
wanna run

well i noticed significant handling differences driving a crx with a h22. the position of an h22 also sits back as opposed to foward which can make significant balance differences. besides if you think that the numbers you posted wont make a little crx huff and puff, you are wrong. I am not trying to be a jerk here but in my opinion an h22 doesnt belong in a street driven crx. =)
Old 05-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Fire
wanna run

Originally Posted by mjay
Any Advice on doing a b16 turbo set up? Price?? Pros/Cons?
I originally wanted to go all motor but i have been reading about some pretty impressive turbo set ups. Which series b16 would i purchase? I know i would probably need forged internals, lower compression pistons, and different cams...thanks
1st gen is the easiest for your swap. your car is obd-0 and the first gen (B16a) is obd-0. The second gen has 10 more horsies in stock form, however it isnt worth the price difference plus if you are wanting to mod this motor up as much as you say it wont matter.

I would research the b18c before you give that idea up. The turbo idea is cool, but very expensive, and the b18c is a hot little puppy. You can build that motor up quite nicely. The options are so many and you would have to do the research to customize your setup for what your goals are.

skunk, crower, and type R (get CTR or post 00-01 ITR) cams are all very nice. The type R and stage 1 skunks dont require a VT change (as long as the RPM limiter is left stock).

bolt ons and pistons + alot of research and a good amount of work will get you a good ways on the b18c. For the 5K you mentioned you can do this motor with a little extras and be pleanty happy with the performance until you can get to your next level of desired upgrades. Hell Im happy with my 1st gen B16a. All I did to my daily banger was r cams, intake, r IM, 4-2-1, and exhaust. Well i lightened it and replaced the suspension with an AHK and did the brakes, but as far as performance it feels very nice. I used hasport everywhere I could and didnt buy any "shortcut" or "junky" parts and i replaced everything i could that was oem and im quite happy.

Happy research and wrenching! =)