Notices

Swap For My Crx!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Fire
wanna run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NXlude
I say run the h swap, hasport has a kit on its way and it will stomp any B out of the box. Screw the hype r and be different. And BTW, the h22 is only 40 lbs heavier than a B. So the myth about handling is just that.

UM not a myth. the CRX chassis was made for the d16a6. putting in a B-series ups the weight then you are upping the weight AGAIN with the H22. I have driven a civic with the h22 swap AND SUSPENSION WORK and it was terrible. civics handle so well and this just ruined it. get the H22 if you are wanting a dragster only. you cant beat the b-series for not only weight and effectiveness in this car but the aftermarket parts are galore.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Fire
wanna run

i like the little DX. great reliable little beater.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:15 PM
NXlude

Goto HT and read about some of their h22 crxs. Theirs handle fine, they have weighed both setups, driven both setup and have lots of proof that the weight thing is a pipe dream. As far as civics are concerned, there are alot of h22 civics that can carve corners with any b series civic. Dont believe me? Talk to the people that have the setups. www.honda-tech.com
Old 05-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Fire
wanna run

ive talked to pleanty of people. ive looked into those swaps and the result is this. people do it. people are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of the advice and they are going to look at the bright side of everything because they like the little bit of extra torque they get outta it. fact is this: it is a heavy ass motor in a light ass car. there is only so much you can do about it. there is no magic to this. weight is weight and some people dont mind the downside. downside: will not ever handle like a civic. the b18c is a much better choice for the CRX if you are driving this on the street. hands down.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
NXlude

Ok, I can show the exact weight of both blocks and trannies to prove my side, how about you? Yeah the H weighs a little more, but if your that worried about it the throw the battery in the trunk. What your overlooking is that weight isnt a factor in a cars handling, its weight distribution, its positioning of the motor, and its what youve dont to make it all work. By your logic a turbo B series crx will handle like poo cause its "too heavy" (a turbo B weighs almost identically as much a stock H).
Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
NXlude

Here is a quote, if you still think you know it all then I will be happy to send you pics of the motors on a scale to prove it.

"So I am sitting here tonight looking around HT and talking in PM to people about my built H22 I just posted into FI and Prelude... and I come across yet another B VS H arguement... and people start talking about all this weight BS again... the H series I hear rumours of anywhere from 85-125lb heavier then a B swap.
Here are some pics to let everyone with a B loose one of their points. (Not that I am against the B... the B is the shit... but I love the H as well and I have a H and I am tired of the weight argument)

I own a shop, and at the moment we are building several motors. So here I bring you some good shit.

All 3 Blocks are built with stock crank, forged rods, forged pistons, and iron sleeves done by benson (H22, D16) and darton (B16). I have a bensen'd B16 here as well but its already made the voyage to the engine stand so its not getting weighed. The only thing that is not fair in these pics is that the D has the oil pan on it... wasnt gonna take it off just for this BS.

H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block
D = 100lb short block + oil pan

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

NOW lets move on... the big word that I always hear is that its the H TRANS IS SOOOO HEAVY!!! Lets take a little peak here...

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lb

OK.. thats 6 lb... so we have a 25lb weight increase so far with the H22.

I will post here within a day or two as I weigh the assembled cylinder heads, as the H head is definatly heavier... but I would guess 10 lb heavier.

As for the rest of the crap... who cares. Intake manifolds are light for any motor and come in different flavors, same with headers and all that BS. Accessories are up to the owner of the car. Everything else hardly applies... flywheels are up to the user, axles, clutch, aluminum or steel oilpans, etc etc all this shit is up to the owner of the car so that crap doesnt need to be part of the comparison.

So what it comes down to is unless that H head is REALLY that much heavier... we are talking about

35 LB INCREASE!! Thats about how much weight off my ass I need to loose so I would be a hypocrite to be hard on the H."
Old 05-02-2005, 04:16 PM
NXlude

not no be rude, im trying to dispell the bad info
Old 05-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Its not bad info... I too have read that post on HT, and if I recall, he didnt weight in alot of the other parts that makes the H much heavier than the B... Plus the fact that firefastsi brought up already, the USDM CRXs werent made to handle the weight of even the B series (the EF8 has an upgraded suspension to handle the extra weight), but 60 more lbs (or whatever it is) more than the D isnt too much to throw it off that bad... But when u add 35-40 lbs ontop of an already larger engine, thats a whole lot of weight in a car that wasnt designed to carry it... And no matter how much u put into suspension, it will never handle like a true CRX should, not unless u actually add weight to the rear (more than a 20 lb battery)... So when people use the "its only x amount of pounds over the B series" excuse, its null and void... Compare the H to the stock D that the car was originally built to hold and then we can talk about the H not being too heavy for the chasis...
Old 05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
NXlude

I may not be a miata or an FD as far as how it handles, but every I know with it seems to be surprised at how well it does. I just base my info on the guys that have it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
mjay

i have been talking to a lot of people and they have been telling me that the h22 set up would be a bad decision for the same reasons that exempt and firefastsi are posting. the car initially is light and b series engines themself are a pretty are noticeable amount different in weight for the cars. im not in any way disputing or trying to say that its a bad idea, obviously you posted good info on weight differences...but everyone that i have talked to say that its pretty bad for the car. iam probably going to go with the gsr swap and just use left over money on the engine. i appreciate everyones input and advice, it helped a lot.