Notices

Leaky CRX hatch

Old 04-24-2005, 10:49 AM
xpman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky CRX hatch

I've got a '91 CRX that seems to have a leak somewhere near the top of the hatch. I've looked all over but can't find where the water is coming in. The rubber seal seems to be in good shape. I also own a '90 (original owner) and have never had this problem. Has anyone else had this problem and is there anything I should be looking for that I might have missed?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I do... I tried for weeks after I got the car to find it... I finally figured out it was coming in thru the rear washer nozzle, the gasket needed to be replaced, but I just took some clear silicone too it and it worked... Its now leaking again tho, this time theres a tiny crack on the top left of the hatch i need to seal up... Its at the very end of where those 2 black strips run along your roof to the hatch...
Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

If fixing the rear squirter gasket and cleaning the sunroof drain tubes doesnt work you might want to take the black rain gutter covers off and look to see if you have any cracks in the body seam filler as these cars get older and older that stuff cracks and lets water in and it finally drips around the hatch shocks or it did on mine.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by daveb91
If fixing the rear squirter gasket and cleaning the sunroof drain tubes doesnt work you might want to take the black rain gutter covers off and look to see if you have any cracks in the body seam filler as these cars get older and older that stuff cracks and lets water in and it finally drips around the hatch shocks or it did on mine.
Yea thats what I was trying to say... The rain gutters... Coulnt think of the name of them tho... Mines got a crack there now I need to take them off and seal em up... And put a new pair of them on there...
Old 04-26-2005, 09:41 AM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

Yeah when taking the plastic gutters off be very carefull they will bend and become very hard to get back into the orginal shape.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Tankard

Where are the sunroof drain tubes? Mine leaks also. I've never fixed it yet.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:36 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

They are in all four corners of the sunroof if you have a Si I should have said. Only applies to the powered Si roof. Front tubes exits at the back of each fender bottoms. Rear tubes exit behind rear bumper sides at back of 1/4 panels. If you take the rear int off you can see the rear tubes exit these are the ones that will give you problems. You just pull the tubes out and clean the tips this is where they will probably be clogged were they go into sort of a black rubber check valve.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Tankard

They are in all four corners of the sunroof if you have a Si I should have said. Only applies to the powered Si roof. Front tubes exits at the back of each fender bottoms. Rear tubes exit behind rear bumper sides at back of 1/4 panels. If you take the rear int off you can see the rear tubes exit these are the ones that will give you problems. You just pull the tubes out and clean the tips this is where they will probably be clogged were they go into sort of a black rubber check valve.
Yea. I've got a 91 CRX Si. Thanks. I'll have to check it out when i get a chance. Mine has leaked where the rear shock thing to the hatch goes into the roof on the inside, whenever it rains. I've looked and looked, and never found where in the heck it's coming in at.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM
xpman

What are the "black rain gutter covers" and is there an easy way to get them off without damaging them? If I find cracks in the sealer, what's a good product to fill them with?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

I just used silicone... May sound weird, but Ive used it for a number of things so far, since Ive bought this car its been my best friend... Even fixed a leak in the windsheild seal...