Notices

Help with my H22 in my 87CRX....PLEASE

Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 PM
87CRX+H22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my H22 in my 87CRX....PLEASE

OK I wanna put a H22 in my crx, and I have hte money and many people to help me plus myself, but I need some help and advice on how to do it and what to do. Like I want the H22 over a B18 or 16 just cus more HP but I know I'm going to have to put in new engine mounts and it's a pain in the ass to find an engine, so someone please help me lol
Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

its not just putting motor mounts in, youll have to relocate where the motor mounts go. You have to reweld them to certain places. Never done the swap myself, but here is a link to some pics with one

LINK HERE
Old 04-05-2005, 08:20 AM
gingas

I would just go with a B18C1 or B16A because it will be easier,cheaper etc... You can make your 87 fast with one of those swap even though it's not as popular as the 88 up civic/crx.You'll also have to beef your susp. up with a H22. It's not really worth it. Also, it will understeer alot in your 87....Good luch though
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 AM
87CRX+H22

yeah I knew about the susp. cus the H22 is pretty big for hte car. But I'd be having another 50 hp with it rather than the B16 or B18......
Old 04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
o22zorbetta

but the h series that i know of are more top end not off the line..depends what you do with the trans.. my h23 si was decent but the car was a hella lot heavier than a civic
Old 04-15-2005, 04:38 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

I would also def go with the B16a or the B18c. My friend did an H22 swap into his 90 CRX, and all he had was trouble. You will see very little H22's in those kinds of cars. It is heavy as crap, and you can pump alot out of a B series engine. Another guy I know has a 89 CRX that he modded for drag, he dropped about 40,000 into it and he has about 500 HP.He ahs a B16a that he put a stroker kit on , to make it a 2.0L. There are endless posibilities to the B series. That is my personal opinion, but from my friends experience the H22 swap is a Bit**.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

If your only out for a drag car, and have the money, then do it... But this combo is NOT reccomended for a daily driver... If you dont upgrade the suspension, and do it correctly, u will have mad understeer (where when you go around a corner the car slides foward instead of turning)! Tho ppl say its not much more than a B, but u have to consider the fact that the EF chasis (much less the EC ur wanting to put that in) is built for a much smaller engine than even the B, u add 60 lbs with a B over the stock, thats fine... But if the H is 60 more than the B, thats 120 lbs total over the stock weight... (I dont know the exact weight off hand, just using 60 lbs as a guess) Thats ALOT of weight... And the EC was designed for a much smaller engine than the EFs were... Also not only suspension, u have to upgrade the brakes... Beat the piss out of the frame to get it in there... And then wire VTEC and OBD1... IMO its not worth it...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:28 AM
PaidCheapCRX

I have donbe a few swaps myself and don't recommend those motors. From what i heard and followed a B16 is more than enough to run 12's in the 1/4 mile. If u want the H22 it aint going to fit comfortably. U are more than likely going to to have cut chop and reweld mounting brackets. Also if u have a torsion bar set u are going to have to upgrade to front coil over set up. More custom fabrication. Here are a few faces u will proably along your build if u decide. :upset: :beer: :beer: :sad: :rant: :rant: :dunno: :slap: :slap: Not in any particular order but trust it is a pain in the ass espically if its in a back yard and not a pro shop.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 AM
gingas

:sad: :sad: :sad: So again I would listen to the fellow H/A people.We're trying to help you save alot of $$$$$$ & headaches down the road. If no one cared we would just say go for it when we know the trouble awaiting. Get a B16 & just build it up. You'll love the power. Your car is way lighter than any EF CRX or Civic hatch...
Old 05-01-2005, 09:28 PM
NXlude

There is so much bad info here its crazy! First, H22 is only 40 morre than a B series motor. So that isnt an excuse. 2nd an H22 rex handles just fine (although you need to put heavier springs on it for the extra couple of pounds. $150 from progress tech) Third, although you do have to weld the mounts in, you have to do no cutting to get it to fit. You have to switch to an Sir style hood and thats it. If you do the swap right there will be no problems. And in addition to that, Hasport and HCP will have mount kits out in the next 2 months.

So far I know of 3 guys running custom setups with h22efs, they are all stock motors with minimal boltons and all run low 13s on street tires and 12 all day on slicks. And yes, I can link you to them if you dont believe me. There are tons of pics showing the entire swap process. But its up to you, pay just as much for a b swap and run mid 14s, or weld in 3 mounts and run 12s.

Ill take the 12s.