Old 04-03-2005, 11:22 AM
ONKA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Civic -- HELP, HELP!

Hello All,

Car:
1988 Honda Civic
PGM-FI 1.5L, 2wd, 5-Spd.

I just bought this used car yesterday and it had a 3/4 full tank of gas and ran favourably.

When it dipped below 1/2 it started losing power in a jerky fashion on acceleration, like someone was cutting the fuel intake or something.

By the time it was near 1/4 of a tank, it was BARELY accelerating normally off the line and once I did get it up to a constant speed it was cutting in and out in a random, choking fashion.

At that point I decided to head home on the freeway and could BARELY keep up to traffic at 100kmh (60mph) becuase it was losing SO MUCH POWER.

I was about 10km (6mi) from home the ENGINE light came on and the jerky loss of power got so bad that I had to pull over. I popped the hood, no smells, burning, steam or anything that would indicate a major problem.

I got to a gas station and put about1 gallon in it, and the jerking seemed to ease SLIGHTLY, and got me home.

I did finally make it home and took some Intake Medic to the throttle actuator (cable/spring assembly) thinking maybe it was sticking or something.

Needless to say, this has pretty much incapacitated my travelling until I figure it out or shell out HUGE bucks to a mechanic to 'search' for it. Has anyone had a a similar problem?

PLEASE HELP!!

SIDE NOTEs:
1. The car idles fine up until the jerking/power loss/fuel level problem increases, in which the idle is inconsistant between 700 and 1700rpm

2. The clutch is near the end of it's life; I thought I'd mention that incase it was a fluke cause. I doubt it though, because it seems like the more gas I have in the tank, the better it travels (ie: down the street).

Thanks in Advance,
R.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Check what code set off the CEL. Fix indicated code.

Replace the fuel filter while you're at it. You'd be amazed at how many of these old cars are still running the factory fuel filter.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

try fuel system cleaner, a new air filter, and maybe a oil change if anything these will improve performance if not fix it
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
ONKA

Default Awrighty..

Yo,

Thx for the advice!

Notes/Questions:
1. Oil was changed about 800km/480mi ago.
2. What is a CEL?
3. Fuel filter; yeah, will do.
4. Air filter; just did today.
5. 'Fuel system cleaner'; as in the liquid that you pour in your gas tank when filling up, or is that something different?

Thx again, I'm watching this thread like a hawk

Cheers,
R.
www.togfer.com
Old 04-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by ONKA
2. What is a CEL?
Check Engine Light, AKA "MIL," Malfunction Indicator Light.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
VEYZ

this is the best answer I can give.... bad mixture of air and gas.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
StreetRacingCRX
None

yes fuel system cleaner goes in the gas tank and I reccomend atleast a K&N air filter not the paper crap like Fram. I would still change the oil probabally about 10w30 and I would upgrade to synthetic instead of the conventional crap. The bad part is once you go sythetic you cant go back. Also never out any gas that is under 90 becuase it is just crap
Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Paper air filters are not "crap." They've been in standard use without problems for a lot longer then you've been alive.

Conventional oil is not "crap" either. Give me one good reason why you think so, without quoting any propaganda off the back of a bottle. On top of that, you can go from synthetic back to regular at any time, going from an old engine that's run regular all it's life to synthetic is the problem.

Gas over 90 octane is a waste of money unless your engine is of high enough compression to actually need it. Saying anything under 90 is "crap" shows your ignorance of the topic.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:40 PM
ONKA

Default Hmm.

1. So, the MIL/CEL is the same thing, right? I got a feel for it when i did a search and read some of the post at this forum. I think I need a special 'computer reader' or something to tell what Error the CEL is throwing(?).

2. Bad Mixture/Gas; this is regulated by the ELECTRONIC-FI, isn't it? Therefore; see a mechanic?

3. I use at least 92 Octane.

4. Air filter; I just bought a stock 'Motomaster' one..ooops.
Side note: Im not trying to 'supe' the baby up, just get it running properly

5. Fuel Cleaner; will do.

6. Synthetic oil; perhaps. I'll wait until I've had the car a bit to see what kind of oil it may burn/leak..'cause that sh*t is EXPENSIVE!!! ahahah.

7. Do you think it may be the fuel pump? Remember, it only does this when the tank is under 1/2 tank and gets bad below a 1/4 tank...

Thanks again, Lemme know if you guys think of anything else.
R.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I think I need a special 'computer reader' or something to tell what Error the CEL is throwing(?).
Nope, just dig out the computer and count the blinks on the LED indicator on the unit. Compair the number of blinks to a code chart.
3. I use at least 92 Octane.
Your engine is actually performing worse then it would be on regular. Do a search on "octane" and read up.
6. Synthetic oil; perhaps. I'll wait until I've had the car a bit to see what kind of oil it may burn/leak..'cause that sh*t is EXPENSIVE!!! ahahah.
The car will leak more with synthetic, thanks to synthetic oil being comprised of smaller molecules. Switching to synthetic this late can actually make a fine car start visibly leaking.