Notices

1990 Civic DX starting problem

Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Stillrunning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Civic DX starting problem

Here's my problem....

The car started fine yesterday, but today I go to start it and nothing. The battery is strong and everything works fine...radio, lights.

This is what happens when I go to start the car. I put the key in and turn it to the position before actually starting the engine. I can hear humming for 3 or 4 seconds then it stops...this is normal. Then I go to turn the engine over and nothing...not a peep...no clicking noises...no nothing. The engine doesn't even try to turn over.

What should I look at to troubleshoot this further? Is it the starter motor?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Stillrunning

Now after trying for 2 days to get it to start...I just try it again...and on the 5th attempt it started....very strange. It went from totally dead to starting. Now I really don't know what is going on with it. Any help would be welcomed
Old 03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

check for loose grounds or any cables involved in starting the car. and for starters get the battery tested and make sure its putting out the correct amount of amps to the starter(maybe try a friends battery that is good). my 89 civic did this on and off for a couple weeks and one day it just went away for a few months(then the alternator went out) and then the problem came back to haunt me about a month after the alt replacement so i bought a new battery and havent gotten stranded anywhere since
Old 03-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Stillrunning

Thanks 89civicSiR, I'll get the battery checked or buy another one...I think the battery in there is 5+ years old.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:53 PM
VEYZ

go to a nearest kragen and let them check the electricals, battery and alternator.
I'm pretty sure your battery is dead because of your bad alternator that never charged your battery back..
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

yeah my batt was less than 3 years old but more than half of the time it was supplying power to a couple amps so i probably shortened the life a little, but the weird thing is the same week i took my sub box out of my honda trunk the batt died
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
VEYZ

yeah. u maybe discharged your battery, just go to a autopart store and let them check the battery and the alternator, and you'll gunna find out....
Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
kleski

Or the other possibility is that the starter brushes are going bad. My 89 had the problem you descibe and tapping the starter would solve it every time.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
pc_in_al

I've just "recovered" from an intermittent starting problem that turned out to be the connection on the starter where the positive battery cable connects - the inner nut was loose (the one closest to the starter). I agree with 89CivicSiR - check for loose connections, grounding straps and the connections at the starter and the alternator. Then, have your starter and alternator checked out.

Good luck and let us know what you find, eh?