Notices

Best Motor for a CRX LS VTEC? ZC? GSR? B16? TYPE R? B20?

Old 03-30-2005, 08:11 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..but IMHO just get a b16 or b18c1 in there... its just easier and ++more reliable
Old 03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
ullerw
rexerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the way the other reason people do ls/vtec is u actually end up with more displacement than a b18c1, but im wondering if you could just put the crank and pistons from the ls motor into a b18c, would that achieve the same affect? an ls/vtec engine will net you 1834 cc's and a b18c1 comes with 1796 i believe.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by ullerw
by the way the other reason people do ls/vtec is u actually end up with more displacement than a b18c1, but im wondering if you could just put the crank and pistons from the ls motor into a b18c, would that achieve the same affect? an ls/vtec engine will net you 1834 cc's and a b18c1 comes with 1796 i believe.
the pistons arent the same size....so somthing would have to be changed in that respect...

and what makes lz/vtec more unreliable is the fact that it has a longer stroke... or so i've been told.. it's bottom end wasnt made to take the high revs required to achieve performance gains using VTEC... i'm kinda sick right now and not quite up to informing people... but i think i got that right

you'd be better off overboring the b18c1 to make up for the difference, and then adding higher comp pistons... you'd end up with somthing *prolly* more powerful than a c5... with a port job and larger injectors and fueling system in general that is (to increase airflow for the larger displacement as well as giving it enough fuel to feed)
Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
ullerw
rexerk

you are correct about the longer stroke being the reliability problem, the other reliability problem is the fact that the bottom end is not built for vtec and doesnt have the necessary oil passageways, you need a new oil pump etc. to make this reliable
Old 03-30-2005, 04:30 PM
ullerw
rexerk

do they make stroker kits for the b18c1? because that would also have the same effect as trying to put in the crank etc. also i doubt the engine would be more powerful than a b18c5, as the c5 incorporates the b16a head (i dont remember which one at this point?) along with a few other differences, but with both the head and the boring you would def. have a more powerful motor
Old 03-30-2005, 04:32 PM
ullerw
rexerk

btw StreetRacingCRX, to answer your question, i would stay away from any frankenstein combo engines, and i would go with a b18c1 from the gsr, its not an INCREDIBLY expensive swap[i know its still a little pricey, look to pay at least 4000 if your doing all the work yourself], but is about hte best money to power ratio. The b18c5 is the quickest, but it is not difficult to build a b18c1 to get it to the same power
Old 03-30-2005, 04:42 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Default 1`

btw StreetRacingCRX, to answer your question, i would stay away from any frankenstein combo engines, and i would go with a b18c1 from the gsr, its not an INCREDIBLY expensive swap[i know its still a little pricey, look to pay at least 4000 if your doing all the work yourself], but is about hte best money to power ratio. The b18c5 is the quickest, but it is not difficult to build a b18c1 to get it to the same power
you are correct about the longer stroke being the reliability problem, the other reliability problem is the fact that the bottom end is not built for vtec and doesnt have the necessary oil passageways, you need a new oil pump etc. to make this reliable
do they make stroker kits for the b18c1? because that would also have the same effect as trying to put in the crank etc. also i doubt the engine would be more powerful than a b18c5, as the c5 incorporates the b16a head (i dont remember which one at this point?) along with a few other differences, but with both the head and the boring you would def. have a more powerful motor
:jlammy:

anyway, doesnt the c1 head have a higher compression than the c5 head? i think that with high comp pistons that the c1 head could make more power than the c5 head...
Old 03-30-2005, 04:52 PM
ullerw
rexerk

im not exactly sure about that? sorry for the overkill with three posts, just kept having more thoughts
Old 03-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by DRfrank
the pistons arent the same size....so somthing would have to be changed in that respect...
the pistons are the same size. you can swap ls crank/rods into a b18c1 block, there might be clearence problems with the oil squirters in the c1 block but you can just plug these or bend them for clearence.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

the problem with the bottom end can be partially fixed by having the internals balanced and reinforced. new rods or rod bolts for the stock rods at least.

there are stroker kits for b18c's, but for the price, i'd rather just bore the engine out to 85mm and have 2L.

Originally Posted by DRfrank
:jlammy:

anyway, doesnt the c1 head have a higher compression than the c5 head? i think that with high comp pistons that the c1 head could make more power than the c5 head...
its a small amount of compression that can be made up with port work