Notices

how to know if axle is broken

Old 03-15-2005, 09:12 AM
oc9crx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to know if axle is broken

My car makes a noise on the right side and I think it might be the axle, but I want to be sure before buying a new one. How do you know if its broken.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

if its a torn boot you would hear a clicking noise as u turned....you can also turn the wheel and see if u see any grease coming out
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Tankard

To answer your question as you asked, "how do you know if you axle is broken"? Your car would not move if it's broken in half. It would be very easy to climb up under it to see it broken. As Jae Jae stated, most cv axles that start popping, pop because the boot broke and all the greese slings out. This causes dirt to get in the joint, lose all lubrication, and thus, wear out. If you catch a broken boot before it starts popping, it's cheaper to just replace the boot and repack with greese.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 AM
accordcivic

My car makes a noise on the right side and I think it might be the axle, but I want to be sure before buying a new one. How do you know if its broken.
That was good advice from the respondants. I'll add my two cents. If I were you, I would hoist the car up with your jack, take off the front passenger tire and take a look. Turning the wheels is also a good suggestion. Like what some posters said, the condition of the boot will tell you a lot. But, do it SOON. Replace the boot or (easier) replace the axle. You should be able to get one at a wrecker's. If you wait too long, the boot will tear and the axle will break or pop out - like what happened to my car. Then your car won't be going anywhere. (Although, my ball joint broke, too... )
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
oc9crx

I guess its not my axle that is making the noise since the boot is in perfect condition, the other thing I think might be is that part that makes the tire turn when you turn the steering wheel, the one on the right side makes a noise when I shake it.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:21 AM
accordcivic

At one time, my Civic made a noise when I turned. I thought I had a problem and bought a steering rack. I didn't need it.

You might try getting some lubricrant (penetrating lubicrant) and spray there. See if it still makes a noise. Is it just a creaking noise? I would get someone to look at it if it still makes a noise after spraying.