Notices

problems with my 89 civic

Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
kleski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my 89 civic

First off let me say that my 89 has over 210k on it. My problems are these. 1) white smoke at high rpm, 2) burning oil, 3) after short trips the car won't restart immediatly ( acts like fuel filter is clogged) but has no problem after a long trip, and 4) check engine light comes on after vehicle gets to operating temp. The first two I am assuming are related but the other two have me baffled.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 PM
jlicrx

what code are you getting with the Check Engine Light?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
kleski

coding 1
Old 03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

code one is oxygen content. hopefully someone can clearify what that means you need to check but i think it has something to do with the oxygen sensor. not sure though
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

First 2 sound like head gasket... 3 could be the main relay... And 4 is probably your O2 sensor is going bad...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:18 PM
ChrisS

Doesn't white smoke at high RPMs mean oil is getting into the cylinders and being burned?
(it can only come from two places valve stem seals/valve guides or piston rings; there's only one place that oil underpressure goes through the head gasket and I don't think there's any way for it to get to the cylinders before mixing with coolant)

Are the plugs fouled?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:00 PM
kleski

Default new twist

ok, I drove this car to Tennessee from Indiana, about 500 miles..... Now my problems are worse. My car is bogging down when I depress the pedal, fuel is dumping into the chamber at such a rate that my oil has thinned, oil consumption on the trip was 5 qts and fuel was about twice the amount that it should have been. I have replaced almost every vacuum line to the throttle body, the distributor cap and rotor also. After doing that the engine has started to surge at idle and twice the computer has coded 14 which is EACV. Any ideas??? Should I replace the EACV at this point?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

1st and foremost...STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR! as you have a major failure from either piston rings, headgasket or valve guides - it needs some major overhaul and the more you drive it the worse the damage gets...you might be lucky and not have a warped headgasket after that long trip

to help diagnose your problem when the car is running and cold pop open the radiator cap (don't worry so long as your car has been sitting for at least a couple hours) then look for bubbles in coolant...if there are bubbles headgasket for sure - which would explain the white smoke (burnt antifreeze), the bogging down and the o2 sensor code as it get mucked up

you can also get a compression and leakdown tests done to determine the extent of the problem for each cylinder and this can find if you have piston ring failure...however it is most likely you'll need a total engine rebuild...i'd look into a good running used engine and just replace it unless you want to try your hand at doing your own rebuild
Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM
kleski

Default fixed, kind of....

The main problem is the rings are going which was causing my white smoke and oil loss. But after so much driving like that the converter clogged and thus my steady loss of power/speed. The solution so far? Took out the converter, since my state doesn't do emission testing. Had to replace the exhaust valves after that...... they were burned up. But the good news is the car made the entire trip home with no problems (except 8 quarts of oil burned). Rings and exhaust are next but at least I am home!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

if you have white smoke it is your coolant getting burnt and bad rings won't be a cause for that so you've also had a headgasket...bad rings will only burn oil (bluish) smoke