getting a '87 crx hf, going for a ground up build--need suggestions

Old 02-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a '87 crx hf, going for a ground up build--need suggestions

yay! i'm gonna get an '87 crx! yay!

1hp:10lbs ratio here I come

seriously tho, in about a month, i'll be the owner of an 1987 HF, buying it from the second owner, the car's in great condition--looking to do a complete teardown and rebuild after i get about $10k saved up (about a year from now).....

the car is bone stock, and i'm gonna enjoy the 60horsepower beast for a while :hahano:

anyway, here's the info i've found so far

HF
1713 lb
1342 cc sohc 8v/ carb
10.0:1
60HP@5500
73TQ@3500
REDLINE 6000 rpm
Gears 2.92/ ?/ ?/ ?/ 0.65
Final Drive 3.58
MPG 49/54
TIRE SIZE165/70R13

First off, I know there is ver little room in the engine compartment, but to get any kind of power, I'm gonna need to go with a B-series engine, I know of several rex's with a B16a, which is all fine well and good--I'd like to drop a B18c1 in the car instead, will the same mounts work for a B18c and B16a?

Next up Tranny's(i know next to nothing about acura/honda transmissions), the 84-87 crx's will only work with a cable/clutch transmission I am told. Is the stock gsr tranny setup as a cable? I've also been told that a transmission from an teg LS will work, good idea or no?

Next up engine management, the old engine is carb'd, so obviously i'm gonna have to install a new/different ECU and since i'll have to wire everything, i see absolutely no reason to stick with a stock ECU---Thinking of going with the MOTEC M4 setup(comments welcome)--as this seems to be the most complete and well known system out there

Suspension/steering---as i recall the car has no power steering, this is gonna have to remedied, especially since this car is gonna be buzzin thru hills---can I use the powersteering pump and rack from a comparable year civic/integra? secondly either going with eibach or tokico for the complete suspension setup........

Next i'm gonna talk to the nice guys at Brembo for the biggest set of brakes they can squeeze under some 15x7 konig heliums

Lastly, the interior, rip out the dash and the rest of the inside. Install a race roll cage, Recaro seats with 5pt harnesses----and do a full fibreglass dash with a digital information center (tach/speedo/odo/all temp sensors displayed, as well as current power map)

I know I"m forgetting a few things, thats why I'm gonna take the time to do everything right, i've got a year of hard research ahead.................

as far as some other things, eventually, i'll go with a turbo once i get used to the power of all-motor. so the engine I go with will have to be great on N/A but still very boost happy

------------------------------
I invite everyone to make comments, constructive one's though!---tell me about you're experience with the different b-series, tranny's you've tried out, if something I suggested either won't work or just plain doesn't make any sense anyway, thank you all in advance

and its good to be coming back to the honda community
Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
ED9man
driver

Ummm, do yourself a favor and find an 88-91.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

i've been searching for a year, an unwrecked 88-91 crx, is pretty much nonexistant in within 4-5 states
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 AM
jlicrx

you will need:
Hasport B-series mount kit and shift linkage
axles
86-89 Integra front knuckles/hubs
1st gen CRX has torsion bar front suspension - better put more thought into suspension set-up
you will need complete fuel system from 85-87 CRX Si, including tank, lines, etc. in order to use fuel injected engine
since 86-89 Integra used the same chassis platform as the CRX, the power steering from Integra should work
wiring will be a nightmare
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 AM
ED9man
driver

Originally Posted by Technodigifreak
i've been searching for a year, an unwrecked 88-91 crx, is pretty much nonexistant in within 4-5 states
Look harder.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

Originally Posted by jlicrx
you will need:
Hasport B-series mount kit and shift linkage
axles
86-89 Integra front knuckles/hubs
1st gen CRX has torsion bar front suspension - better put more thought into suspension set-up
you will need complete fuel system from 85-87 CRX Si, including tank, lines, etc. in order to use fuel injected engine
since 86-89 Integra used the same chassis platform as the CRX, the power steering from Integra should work
wiring will be a nightmare
very helpful, thanks jlicrx

and besides jlicrx, the forums at redpepperracing have been much more helpful, what happened to HAN?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

the forums at redpepperracing have been much more helpful, what happened to HAN?
I got a job. :db:h:
seriously tho, in about a month, i'll be the owner of an 1987 HF(...)
If you want to be hardcore about it, get an '84-85. They where lighter.
I'd like to drop a B18c1 in the car instead, will the same mounts work for a B18c and B16a?
Yes, but it may have clearance issues with the hood. That could be cured by cutting out the under-hood support stucture from part of it.
Is the stock gsr tranny setup as a cable? I've also been told that a transmission from an teg LS will work, good idea or no?
The stock 92-93 GS-R is cable, however all the B18C1 cars (94+) are hydro. You need a JDM first gen B16A trans or any 90-93 USDM Integra trans. The B16A versions will have tigher gearing.
Thinking of going with the MOTEC M4 setup(comments welcome)--as this seems to be the most complete and well known system out there
It's a great idea to go with a stand-alone aftermarket unit, that saves you from having to worry about the chassis wiring. I don't know any specifics about the MoTeC though, as I'm going for either Haltech or Wolf3D in a few months.
as far as some other things, eventually, i'll go with a turbo once i get used to the power of all-motor.
Good luck trying to get a turbo to fit in there.
One of the techs at my dealership (a very good one, and damn fine amateur racer at that) has a cherry CRX DX for sale. It has a few new major parts, selling it for $1500. I can take pictures of it and get his contact info if you're interested in driving to Arlington, VA.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 PM
RicerVtr

first gen is cooler, more origional, lighter, and most importantly different from every guy out there. More power to ya man, different is awsome, i hope to have a crazy fast NA first gen sometime in my life i hope
Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 AM
gingas

What's up cuzzz ? Yeah do yourself a favor & invest in a 88-91 crx or a 88-91 civic hatch. For starters their suspention is terrible, their's not alot of aftermarket items to fix ride up, in order to do a B series swap you need more parts. Especially the rear suspenstion. If you want to do it right as you say keep searching. Autotrader.com, Washington Post or depending on where you live look in paper. Also, how much are you getting 87 crx for. I don't have a CRX, but I do have a Civic Si 91. I paid a grand( 1,000). The main things done to pass MSI was, tie rod end, 4 tires, head light. If I can remember that was all. Seriously, do yourself a favor & get a 88-91 CRX or CIvic hatch. You can't go wrong. I have a picture of my ride so you can see. Go to cardomain & pull up Honda Civics 1991's. Dre's Honda. Good luck with your search. Gingas
Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by gingas
For starters their suspention is terrible
Not true. The suspension is not some super-advanced design, but it's more then enough to make them a kick-ass autocross car... not to mention they can be modified to four wheel steering.