Notices

Cheap headers on ebay, any good?

Old 02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
brusk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap headers on ebay, any good?

I got a 90 CRX DX that I'm putting a D16Y8 into and I didn't get the rest of the factory manifold when I picked up the engine. I was thinking just pick up a cheap header. I see them as cheap as $50 for some DC-S brand stuff which like all cheap headers they just took a copy of the better ones. The welds look ok and the quality seems reasonable but has anybody tried these. If there no good I'll probably just try the OBX ones on there for $135 at least thats a name I've heard of.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 PM
oldskoolcivic

i used the ebay ones for a few years and they are great. but i live in the northwest. a friend of mines live in boston where theres alot of snow, and after 1 winter, the ebay headers rusted, then by summer the rusted part of the header fell apart, making a small hole, which in turn grew bigger cause of the heat. it sounded like shit. so it really depends where you live and if you see alot of snow or not. salt kills ....
Old 02-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Reason

I have a cheap eBay header and I live in New England. I say it's been almost a year now and have no problems.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

you get what you pay for
Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
oldskoolcivic

Originally Posted by Reason
I have a cheap eBay header and I live in New England. I say it's been almost a year now and have no problems.

do you have the plastic parts that go under the car? my friends civic doesnt and maybe thats what caused it or something. ohh he lives like really close to new hampshire, right by the border so maybe theres alot more snow or something.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Reason

I don't have any plastic parts under the car that I noticed. We get a lot of snow here and they use salt for the roads.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:21 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

cheap headers are made out of regular steel (not stainless, ceramic or jet hot coated)...they will rust much faster

though they may look good new the welds are usually poorly done and the flanges etc are not lined up properly and have burrs preventing efficient air flow...even the $100 pacesetter headers are really pieces of junk and they would be on the higher end of the cheap header spectrum