Notices

what is it?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:06 AM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is it?

i have a 89 civic hb sir and i recently noticed this oily fluid dripping off of my gas tank. it looks to be coming down the front of the tank and doesnt smell like gas. its a black fluid with a tiny bit of red in it. does anyone have any clue what or where this may be coming from.

thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Transmission fluid? Only thing I can think thats a redish fluid... But by the gas tank? I have no idea... And is this a genuine SiR by any chance? Or just a USDM Civic hatch, that someone swapped an SiR engine into? Just curious...
Old 02-07-2005, 03:52 PM
ED9man
driver

Canadian SiR = USDM Si
Old 02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Originally Posted by ED9man
Canadian SiR = USDM Si
Are you sure? Ive never heard that before... Only on the newer Civics... Not the older EFs...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

well this car was made in canada and on the back it has SiR its only got the original top half of the motor though
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Yea, I checked, hes right... The Candian SiRs are the same as our USDM Sis... Learn something new every day... I thought only the newer ones are like that... But some ppl do buy USDM cars that are badged SiR, and arent really an SiR... Thinking they are SiRs, and then have problems finding parts, simply because Honda never brought an SiR (in the early years) here... And then u get those guys who swap in an SiR engine, and call their cars SiRs, when in fact they are still far from a real SiR...
Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
jlicrx

Originally Posted by 89civicSiR
i have a 89 civic hb sir and i recently noticed this oily fluid dripping off of my gas tank. it looks to be coming down the front of the tank and doesnt smell like gas. its a black fluid with a tiny bit of red in it. does anyone have any clue what or where this may be coming from.

thanks
probably gasoline leaking from where gauge sending unit goes into tank - running down tank and dissolving the undercoating on the tank, which is then dripping off - remove rear seat and remove cover from above the gauge sending unit and see if it is leaking there - might need new gasket
Old 02-08-2005, 07:57 AM
89civicSiR
thats right im a NOOB!

Originally Posted by jlicrx
probably gasoline leaking from where gauge sending unit goes into tank - running down tank and dissolving the undercoating on the tank, which is then dripping off - remove rear seat and remove cover from above the gauge sending unit and see if it is leaking there - might need new gasket
thanks ill try looking at that but the only wierd thing is it doesnt smell anything like gas......well thanks anyway

and also since ive had the car there has been a lugnut missing on the front left wheel cuz the bolt is stripped and after i changed the brake pads a couple days ago one of the other bolts broke off, leaving me with only two lug nut to hold ont the front wheel. so my question is how do you get those studs out? thanks for the help