Notices

spark plug seal?

Old 02-03-2005, 05:34 PM
LiquidBiohazard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug seal?

so i changed my spark plugs yesterday and one of them was on reaaaaaaally tight. i managed to get it out.... but thats not all that came out. a piece of rubber came out wtih it too, only a piece though it broke, its like 2/3 of what was there. im not sure if that was a spark plug seal or something liek that but the other piece is still in there... somewhere...... i dont know if its really bad or if its ok or wha i should do? should i try and get it out myself or should i take it to my mechanic? i also noticed that once the car warms up i can smell rubber too... maybe someone can give me directions as to how to get it out and how critical this is?

my car is a 88' crx i dont know what type of engine or model it has though. but the problem with the tight spark plug was in cylinder 1. i dont know if that helps? the car runs fine otherwise, its just that when its warm i can smell rubber or soemthing and i dont know how bad it is that thats in there.... and how hard would it be to remove it? thanks for your help

Old 02-04-2005, 01:23 AM
CroCivic90DX

Well, yes it is a spark plug seal, they are not expensive but in order to get it out i think you should take the valve cover off, just so you can access it easier. Smelling rubber is most likely because small bits and pieces of it fell down into cylinder and are burning. It can be dangerous for that cylinder.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:13 AM
LiquidBiohazard

**** ok thanks i really appreciate your help im going to fix that today. will i need to take appart the whole engine or a lot of it? thanks again
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
LiquidBiohazard

i opened it up and tried to find what was wrong and it didnt work and ended up costing me $48 because of the gaskets. wonderful. im taking it to my mechanic
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Tankard

What the heck is a spark plug seal? I've changed numerous plugs, and i've never seen a spark plug seal. Maybe one on top from the plug cable or a black rubber piece inside the socket that removes it, which is not left on the plug. Plugs only have the washer that it comes with. Maybe your vehicle had or has something on the plugs that none of mine never had. You should be able to look at the other 3 and tell what it is or was that broke. I've always taken the plug cable off, blew the hole out with compressed air so dirt won't get into the cylinder, and then removed the plug and reinstalled. My 91 crx si was simple to change the plugs as compared to my 94 GMC Sonoma 4.3. Also, i've never had to remove a valve cover to access the plugs. You should be able to get out what's in there without removing the valve cover. Just have to have the right tools. Also, if you smell something burning, it's not what fell into the cylinder. You better be sure nothing gets into the cylinder or at least try your best. If it's in the motor, it's been turned to mush and goo if it's rubber, and the smell would come from out of the exhaust, which you would'nt smell. If you smell something burning, it's inside the hole outside of the cylinder, or you've got a plug wire touching a header or something.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:50 PM
LiquidBiohazard

it was weird tho, the seal or wahtever it was, was on the threads of the spark plug. none of the other ones had it on there tho. i called my mechanic and he said dont worry about it it will burn up or something..... it fell in to the cylinder thats for sure but it was only a small piece. i guess i wont worry about it. the rest were ok tho.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Spark plug seal? There isn't such a thing in rubber form, the spark plug has it's own metal crush washer to seal the combustion chamber.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
ED9man
driver

There's grommet things there I'm pretty sure.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:13 AM
oldskoolcivic

no... it cost roughly 16 bucks for the SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS, and 8 bucks or so for the valve gasket. its not that hard, just take off the valve cover and replace the tube seals, which that engine has foru of them. those seals are there so oil wont drip down to the spark plug, i did that on my civic alot of times. just do it and check the spark plugs if theres oil going to it after 200 miles or so. took me a few times but finally oil didnt drip. u can get the tube seals at honda, junkyard, or some autoparts store. it looks like a black rolled up condom
Old 02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by oldskoolcivic
no... it cost roughly 16 bucks for the SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS, and 8 bucks or so for the valve gasket. its not that hard, just take off the valve cover and replace the tube seals (...)
The four rubber seals that sit in the valve cover won't come out with the spark plug. If they do, you have a serious problem on your hands.