Notices

Will 400lbs slow down a crx si dramatically?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Tankard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 400lbs slow down a crx si dramatically?

I've done just about all of my performance mods to my car after installing the stereo. This includes headers, intake, exhaust, and nice plugs and wires. The stereo, i'm guessing, weighs at least 400 lbs. My car is not all that fast now with the stereo. I remeber, when the car was stock, it seemed faster. That is without the extra weight and without the mods. If i dropped the stereo, would this car be a lot faster or not? Dumb question, but just curious. It seems to have great pickup going downhill at around 60-80mph now. Approx. how many horses will the headers, exhaust, intake, and expensive plug wires give the stock Si motor? From 106 to around 115 maybe? I've read where the headers add the most.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Exempt
2 tone Rex

Not sure exact HP that stuff will add, but I do know on a Honda, weight matters! So if your stero is 400 lbs (thats alot of shit!), then yea, its def gonna affect your performance... From when I drive just me in the car, I can tell a difference when I have a passenger... U really dont need to ditch the stero all together, just slim it down a bit... What all do u have? I have 2 amps (low amp, mids/highs amp), and a JL 15" sub, and my car seems fine... Probably about 100 lbs total max...
Old 01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Tankard

I doubt i could slim it down without re-doing it all and getting different subs. I've got two RF power HX2's which weigh a ton. And yes,it's the loudest car stereo i've ever heard. I'm sure, of course, there are louder ones though. It makes TV monitors in buildings(ones you can see inside at night) bounce up and down(the picture). Obviously from very high SPL. I guess you can't have loud and fast at the same time.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:08 PM
daveb91
Boo Boo Kitty F*#k

400 pounds is big in a CRX. A passenger makes the car feel sluggish. Also its a header not headers unless you have put a boxer four in there.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Reason

You can have great sound and speed at the same time. You are just doing it wrong. You have a car with around 108HP and weighs some where around 2100 lbs (give or take a few pounds). 400 lbs is alot of weight for 108hp. You can have a fst car with a great system you just need the right set up. Performance header, intake, wires and exhaust? What I have learned from this site is, if you want a fast civic you need to do an engine swap and beef up THAT engine.

Now ive been in a few fast cars with good systems, It depends on the car. My friend has a 2004 Subaru STi, he has a banging system. Lets just say you cant sit in it too long with the music up. Now the last time he had it at the track hes runnung a 12.86 1/4 mile. That was after minor upgrades like what you have done with your SI. Recently he upgraded the turbo, fuel pump, injectors, and CAI. Im sure the numbers will be impressive. He has a custom set up in the trunk, not sure how much weight though and he is running high 12's.

What it comes down to is that a car with 108HP and a few bolts on and a extra 400lbs isnt going to be quick. With that car I suggest you re-think your set up or get a whole new engine setup.

Like I said before, im still new to the Honda scene. I'm sure someone else could give a better explanation than me. I just figured I try to help out. Good luck man
Old 01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Reason

Oh yea, my 89 CRX DX is quick, being a small car and all. If I have someone else in it, I CAN feel the difference. My upgrades consist of Header, highflow cat, midpipe, new OEM muffler, wires, plugs, CAI, and clutch kit. Still not fast enough to take my stock Subaru Legacy. Well good luck
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
ED9man
driver

The maximum capacity of them is 400 lbs to begin with. Get rid of that shit.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
oldskoolcivic

if u have the stock engine (108 hp) then yes it will affect alot. my old 90 standard hatch with 70hp was ok at acceleration. if i have three buddies in the car the car would just die of overworking on hard acceleration. it wouldnt even go. and yes just like ED9man said, Get rid of that shit u can put it back when you do a motor swap with 200 hp to the wheels or something.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:12 PM
oldskoolcivic

with that 108 hp motor (old motor) and all those fancy wires, you'll be lucky if you even get 90 hp from the wheels.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:00 AM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

400 pounds will kill the CRX, I relize a difference in take off when I have a passenger. I have 2 memphis 12's in my car with a ported box, amp ,and head unit. It didn't kill my car that much. I wouldn't suggest pulling ur whole stereo
maybe jsut go with one sub instead of 2.